Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<2032da2f7a4c7c8c50d28cacfa26c9c7@www.novabbs.org>

From: mitchalsup@aol.com (MitchAlsup1)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Arguments for a sane ISA 6-years later
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2024 20:59:06 +0000

On Fri, 26 Jul 2024 17:00:07 +0000, Anton Ertl wrote:

> "Chris M. Thomasson" <chris.m.thomasson.1@gmail.com> writes:
>>On 7/25/2024 1:09 PM, BGB wrote:
>>> At least with a weak model, software knows that if it doesn't go through
>>> the rituals, the memory will be stale.
>
> There is no guarantee of staleness, only a lack of stronger ordering
> guarantees.
>
>>The weak model is ideal for me. I know how to program for it
>
> And the fact that this model is so hard to use that few others know
> how to program for it make it ideal for you.
>
>>and it's more efficient
>
> That depends on the hardware.
>
> Yes, the Alpha 21164 with its imprecise exceptions was "more
> efficient" than other hardware for a while, then the Pentium Pro came
> along and gave us precise exceptions and more efficiency.  And
> eventually the Alpha people learned the trick, too, and 21264 provided
> precise exceptions (although they did not admit this) and more
> efficieny.
>
> Similarly, I expect that hardware that is designed for good TSO or
> sequential consistency performance will run faster on code written for
> this model than code written for weakly consistent hardware will run
> on that hardware.

According to Lamport; only the ATOMIC stuff needs sequential
consistency.
So, it is completely possible to have a causally consistent processor
that switches to sequential consistency when doing ATOMIC stuff and gain
performance when not doing ATOMIC stuff, and gain programmability when
doing atomic stuff.

>                    That's because software written for weakly
> consistent hardware often has to insert barriers or atomic operations
> just in case, and these operations are slow on hardware optimized for
> weak consistency.

The operations themselves are not slow. What is slow is delaying the
pipeline until it catches up to the stronger memory model before
proceeding.

> By contrast, one can design hardware for strong ordering such that the
> slowness occurs only in those cases when actual (not potential)
> communication between the cores happens, i.e., much less frequently.

How would you do this for a 256-way banked memory system of the
NEC SX ?? I.E., the processor is not in charge of memory order--
the memory system is.