Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<50c85586e1aec0eef53e83cef7cb1d5d@www.novabbs.org>

From: mitchalsup@aol.com (MitchAlsup1)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Concertlina II: Full Circle
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2024 23:17:27 +0000

John Savard wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jun 2024 20:20:03 +0000, mitchalsup@aol.com (MitchAlsup1)
> wrote:

>>As to looping, I faced the same delimma and came to a different
>>conclusion::
>>You don't do it in 1 instruction, instead, you do it in a way where
>>your
>>2 instruction encoding executes one of the instructions only once. I
>>call
>>this bookending the loop.

> I considered something like that.

> My problem was that encoding the parameters of the loop in one
> instruction takes too much space. So the first thing I thought of was
> to put some of them in the instruction that repeats the loop.

> The proiblem was, though, that since the instruction that repeats the
> loop points to the start of the loop in memory, it's a
> memory-reference instruction, so there isn't much extra room left in
> it.

No, it is not a memref--it is a return ! using the register from the
VEC  instruction. You "return" to the top of the loop. There is no
reason to use IP+Disp, and the fact there is no register nor disp-
lacement in LOOP enables it all to fit. In addition, when VEC executes,

IP is pointing at the top of the loop, requiring no calculation
whatsoever.