Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<86seup1m1g.fsf@linuxsc.com>

From: Tim Rentsch <tr.17687@z991.linuxsc.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Top 10 most common hard skills listed on resumes...
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2024 18:19:39 -0700
References: <vab101$3er$1@reader1.panix.com> <vad7ns$1g27b$1@raubtier-asyl.eternal-september.org> <vad8lr$1fv5u$1@dont-email.me> <vaf7f0$k51$2@reader1.panix.com> <vafgb2$1to4v$2@dont-email.me> <92ab79736a70ea1563691d22a9b396a20629d8cf@i2pn2.org> <vafim7$1ubg8$1@dont-email.me> <vah4hr$2b9i8$5@dont-email.me> <vahngt$2dtm9$1@dont-email.me> <87r0abzcsj.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <87seurdqts.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> <87frqqyuib.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <87a5gxeppa.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> <87a5gxzhep.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

Ben Bacarisse <ben@bsb.me.uk> writes:

> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Ben Bacarisse <ben@bsb.me.uk> writes:

>>> I presume, since I mentioned the concepts coming from CPL, you are
>>> referring to specifically the short-form terms l- and r-values?
>>>
>>> I can't help with those specific terms as the document I have uses
>>> a mixture of terms like "the LH value of...", "left-hand
>>> expressions" and "evaluated in LH mode".
>>
>> The documents I have are unsearchable PDFs;  they appear to be
>> scans of paper documents.
>>
>> https://comjnl.oxfordjournals.org/content/6/2/134.full.pdf
>> https://www.ancientgeek.org.uk/CPL/CPL_Elementary_Programming_Manual.pdf
>>
>> Do you have friendlier documents?
>
> The earliest that is searchable has this title page:
>
>   UNIVERSITY OF LONDON INSTITUTE OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
>   *************************************************
>   THE UNIVERSITY MATHEMATICAL LABORATORY, CAMBRIDGE
>   *************************************************
>   CPL ELEMENTARY PROGRAMMING MANUAL
>   Edition I (London)
>
>   This document, written by the late John Buxton, was preserved by
>   Bill Williams, formerly of London University?s Atlas support team.
>   Bill has generously made it available to Dik Leatherdale who has
>   OCRed and otherwise transcribed it for the Web.  All errors should
>   be reported to dik@leatherdale.net.  The original appearance is
>   respected as far as possible, but program text and narrative are
>   distinguished by the use of different fonts.  Transcriber's
>   additions and 'corrections' are in red, hyperlinks in underlined
>   purple.  A contents list and a selection of references have been
>   added inside the back cover.
>
>   March 1965
>
> I don't know where I got it from.  The other searchable one is just
> a PDF is the oft-cited paper "The main features of CPL" by Barron
> et. al.

My understanding is the terms l-value and r-value, along with
several other terms widely used in relation to programming
languages, became widely used following a summer(?) course taught
by Christopher Strachey.  Some of the other terms are referential
transparency and parametric polymorphism, IIRC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_Concepts_in_Programming_Languages

I believe it is possible to track down the notes from that course,
if a diligent web search is employed.  I remember reading a copy
some years ago after finding one on the internet.