Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<87jzjgh7zq.fsf@parhasard.net>

From: Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net>
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: Bede died (25-5-735)
Date: Sun, 26 May 2024 17:07:37 +0100

 Ar an séú lá is fiche de mí Bealtaine, scríobh Ross Clark:

 > Saint Bede (OE Bæda) -- born about 672.
 > Monk at Jarrow (present South Tyneside).
 > Wrote more than 60 works on diverse subjects, but probably best known for
 > _Historia Ecclesiastica Gentis Anglorum_ (Ecclesiastical History of the English
 > People).
 >
 > It includes a snapshot linguistic picture of Great Britain in his time:
 >
 > "This island at present...contains five nations, the English, Britons, Scots,
 > Picts and Latins, each in its own peculiar dialect cultivating the sublime
 > study of Divine truth. The Latin tongue is, by the study of the Scriptures,
 > become common to all the rest."

‘Haec in praesenti, iuxta numerum librorum, quibus lex diuina scripta est, quinque
gentium linguis, unam eandemque summae ueritatis et uerae sublimitatis scientiam
scrutatur, et confitetur, Anglorum uidelicet, Brettonum, Scottorum, Pictorum et
Latinorum, quae meditatione scripturarum ceteris omnibus est facta communis.’

“Five language communities,” I suppose. I hadn’t realised he was so early.
Interesting post, thanks.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’