Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<XnsB16985A6E636Fhueydlltampabayrrcom@135.181.20.170>

From: David LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [Meta] Personal announcement
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 17:08:20 -0000 (UTC)

Malcolm McLean <malcolm.arthur.mclean@gmail.com> wrote in
news:v17p20$1qmns$1@dont-email.me:

> On 04/05/2024 23:35, David LaRue wrote:
>> Malcolm McLean <malcolm.arthur.mclean@gmail.com> wrote in
>> news:v15bc1$177ep $1@dont-email.me:

>>> Diet is a problem. I'm finding food hard to tolerate and so of course
>>> want to go for simple carbs, which are more digestible. But I've also
>>> got diabetes, and that makes the fatigue and so on from the cancer and
>>> therapy at lot worse, and so I've been told to keep on top of it. And
>>> that leaves me with very little to eat at all. Yougurt is a favorite.
>>> And I like milk with cereal. And I just bought a slow cooker to do
>>> soft vegetables. Before this happened I used to eat out every single
>>> day, and now I just can't face a beer, let alone a restaurant meal.
>>
>> Good to see you again Malcolm,
>>
>> I hope you have a CGM, continuous glucose monitor, it has helped me
>> immensely to eat moderately and very often to manage the symptoms of
>> diabetes.  It took me a while to eat sensibly.
>>
>> A also know many people with cancer treatments and wouldn't wish either
>> disease on anyone.
>>
>> No matter who we are we eventually have troubles and turn to support
>> groups to find better ways to cope with life.
>>
>> Wishing you all the best,
>>
>> David
>>
> Thanks.
> My diabetes is farly mild and I had it before I was diagnosed with the
> cancer. But I was told to avoid too much sugar. But when I developed the
> cancer, I was told that it was interacting with the chemotherapy and
> making me very tired, and that more efforts needed to be taken to get on
> top of it.
> Whilst previousy I tended to over eat, I now have the opposite problem.I
> just don't feel like high fat, high protein foods. I want food which is
> easy to digest. But that is mainly the sugary food I'm supposed to avoid
> on account of the diabetes. So yoghurt is about the only thing which is
> practical, I feel like eating, and I'm allowed. However it can't be the
> ony suitable food in existence.
>
> I got blood sugars monitored whilst in hopsital. I was in for about
> three weeks, which explains the long gap in posting.

I eat small and often when I can.  I watch my CGM that shows what my blood
sugar is doing about 15 minutes behind when it changes.  So if I don't over
eat I can snack on a couple small fruits or pasta.

CGMs are supported by most insurance plans.  They are very useful and can
help keep the tired times away.  Best thing I did was accept my doctors
recommendation to stop manual blood sugar testing and use a CGM.  I'm Type
I so require insulin and now a pump.  You may not, but CGMs are still
supported by most doctors for their obvious feedback to the wearer.

It took me many years to go from high carb diets and really eating more
healthy.  Once you have feedback from a CGM is makes estimating how much
you can eat next time much easier.

You're cancer doctor might even recommend a CGM.  Mine reports changes
every 5 minutes.  It is still a 15 minute delay from when it occurred.

My mom was also a T1 diabetic and would ask my dad to get a slice of pie
every week or two.  She could tolerate one or two bytes and get satisfied.

Most of my friends with cancer didn't share much.  My dad was given a 3
month predication and managed to survive another 3+ years.  I've seen how
tired it makes people.

Please let us know how you are doing and what we can do for you besides our
friendship and prayers.

David