Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<lbd37mFnt7hU4@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Sale on Visual Studio from Bleeping Computer
Date: 25 May 2024 03:11:51 GMT

On Fri, 24 May 2024 23:08:09 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> On Fri, 24 May 2024 17:35:33 -0400, Joel wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>I don’t know why we care about a piece of software which is useless for
>>>non-Windows development, and barely copes with Windows-only development
>>>as it is.
>>
>> I didn't buy it, but it is an outstanding value, to get the paid
>> version for $40.
>
> If Visual Studio is so wonderful, why is there Visual Studio Code?

It's really an entirely different animal. One nice feature of Visual
Studio is the available templates for various projects although they
aren't necessary. There is better support for WinForms and WPf, installer
creation, and so forth. You can get by with dotnet and MSBuild but it's a
lot more work.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/tutorials/with-visual-
studio-code?pivots=dotnet-8-0

That shows creating a project using dotnet on the command line. dwiw if
the dotnet SDK is installed on Linux it is the same procedure.

VSCode has a lot of extensions that I don't think are available in Visual
Studio workloads. For example I have Pylance installed for general Python
work, MicroPico for working with the Pico W, PlatformIO for  Arduinos and
other boards, Jupyter notebook support, C/C#/C++ extensions, and a few
others.

That's on both my Windows and Linux machines. Visual Studio is Windows
only.