Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usq66d$e4sh$3@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott2@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: =?UTF-8?B?UmU6IFZlcmlmaWVkIGZhY3QgdGhhdCDEpC5IIOKfqMSk4p+pIOKfqMSk?=
 =?UTF-8?B?4p+pIGFuZCBIIOKfqMSk4p+pIOKfqMSk4p+pIGhhdmUgZGlmZmVyZW50IGJlaGF2?=
 =?UTF-8?Q?ior_ZFC_--logically_impossible--?=
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 13:16:45 -0500
 <usiufa$2j99n$1@dont-email.me> <usiukh$2jaj3$1@dont-email.me>
 <usiuup$2jdc7$2@dont-email.me> <usj254$2jutc$2@dont-email.me>
 <usj2e3$2jut2$1@dont-email.me> <usj2je$2jutc$3@dont-email.me>
 <usj2rs$2jut2$2@dont-email.me> <usj32s$2k5id$1@dont-email.me>
 <usjd20$2plge$1@dont-email.me> <usjef5$1cf5q$6@i2pn2.org>
 <usjfj8$2q613$1@dont-email.me> <usjgs6$1cf5q$7@i2pn2.org>
 <usjhks$2qhfq$1@dont-email.me> <usjj7v$1cf5q$8@i2pn2.org>
 <uskg1p$30hr1$1@dont-email.me> <KEkHN.386271$vFZa.185803@fx13.iad>
 <uskog1$32h3c$1@dont-email.me> <uskpe3$32l00$1@dont-email.me>
 <uskq04$32h3c$3@dont-email.me> <usks70$1enef$1@i2pn2.org>
 <usktro$33lov$1@dont-email.me> <usl1c7$1enef$9@i2pn2.org>
 <usll3l$38f21$1@dont-email.me> <lttHN.366350$q3F7.85039@fx45.iad>
 <uslou1$390q2$1@dont-email.me> <uslpbr$1enef$17@i2pn2.org>
 <uslu1i$3do6h$1@dont-email.me> <usn8eu$3mf48$3@dont-email.me>
 <usn9k1$3m7k2$8@dont-email.me> <usq5eg$1l201$17@i2pn2.org>

On 3/12/2024 1:04 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 3/11/24 8:56 AM, olcott wrote:
>>>
>>> Proof that a certain thing cannot be computed is always a limit to
>>> computation.
>>>
>> Yet in only the same way that the Liar Paradox
>> "This sentence is not true."
>> does not have a truth value that can be computed.
>>
>>> For example, you can't compute the colour of the number 4. That is an
>>> actual limit to computation.
>>>

>> The inability to to the logically impossible is not any actual limit.
>> If we say that the Halting Problem cannot be solved for the same sort
>> of reason that Square Circles do not exist then this is not any actual
>> limit.
>
> But SHOWING that something is logically impossible reveals the
> limitations that were already there.
>
> Yes, the Halting Theorem doesn't MAKE the problem impossible, it shows
> that it always was, and gives us knowledge of that.

The halting problem does not derive a limit to computation
any more than the inability of CAD systems to draw square
circles places a limit on computation.