Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uu5dqp$2tti$2@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott2@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_Definition_of_real_number_=E2=84=9D_--infinitesimal?=
 =?UTF-8?Q?--?=
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 22:50:49 -0500

On 3/28/2024 10:36 PM, Keith Thompson wrote:
> olcott <polcott2@gmail.com> writes:
> [...]
>> It seems dead obvious that 0.999... is infinitesimally less than 1.0.
>
> Yes, it *seems* dead obvious.  That doesn't make it true, and in fact it
> isn't.

0.999... means that is never reaches 1.0.
and math simply stipulates that it does even though it does not.

> 0.999... denotes a *limit*.  In particular, it's the limit of the value
> as the number of 9s increases without bound.  That's what the notation

That is how it has been misinterpreted yet it has always meant
infinitesimally less than 1.0.

> "0.999..." *means*.  (There are more precise notations for the same
> thing, such as "0.9̅" (that's a 9 with an overbar, or "vinculum") or
> "0.(9)".

I already know all that.

> You have a sequence of numbers:
>
>      0.9
>      0.99
>      0.999
>      0.9999
>      0.99999
>
> Each member of that sequence is strictly less than 1.0, but the *limit*
> is exactly 1.0.  The limit of a sequence doesn't have to be a member of
> the sequence.  The limit is, informally, the value that members of the
> sequence approach arbitrarily closely.

Yet never reaching.

> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_of_a_sequence>
>
>> That we can say this in English yet not say this in conventional
>> number systems proves the need for another number system that can
>> say this.
>
> Then I have good news for you.  There are several such systems, for
> example <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperreal_number>.

Infinitesimally less than 1.0 means one single geometric point
on the number line less than 1.0.

> If your point is that you personally like hyperreals better than you
> like reals, that's fine, as long as you're clear which number system
> you're using.

The Infinitesimal number system that I created.

> If you talk about things like "0.999..." without
> qualification, everyone will assume you're talking about real numbers.

It is already the case that 0.999...
specifies Infinitesimally less than 1.0.