Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v0lic7$2g492$3@i2pn2.org>

From: Richard Damon <richard@damon-family.org>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Can D simulated by H terminate normally?
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 09:19:03 -0400

On 4/28/24 8:56 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 4/28/2024 3:23 AM, Mikko wrote:
>> On 2024-04-28 00:17:48 +0000, olcott said:
>>
>>> Can D simulated by H terminate normally?
>>
>> One should not that "D simulated by H" is not the same as
>> "simulation of D by H". The message below seems to be more
>> about the latter than the former. In any case, it is more
>> about the properties of H than about the properties of D.
>>

> D specifies what is essentially infinite recursion to H.
> Several people agreed that D simulated by H cannot possibly
> reach past its own line 03 no matter what H does.

Nope, it is only that if H fails to be a decider.

Since you claim H to be a decider, D can not have infinite recursion,
because H must return in finite time.

Yes, we get two different, and contradictory, sets of results depending
on which facts we look at. The cause of this is the principle of
explosion, that somewhere in our setup we have a false premise, and that
turns out to be that there can exist an H that can correctly determine
the halting status of its input, or in particular, the input built by
this formula.

>>> The x86utm operating system based on an open source x86 emulator.
>>> This system enables one C function to execute another C function
>>> in debug step mode. When H simulates D it creates a separate process
>>> context for D with its own memory, stack and virtual registers. H
>>> is able to simulate D simulating itself, thus the only limit to
>>> recursive simulations is RAM.
>>>
>>> // The following is written in C
>>> //
>>> 01 typedef int (*ptr)(); // pointer to int function
>>> 02 int H(ptr x, ptr y)    // uses x86 emulator to simulate its input
>>> 03
>>> 04 int D(ptr x)
>>> 05 {
>>> 06   int Halt_Status = H(x, x);