Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v151fp$15b28$1@dont-email.me>

From: Thomas Koenig <tkoenig@netcologne.de>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: a bit of history, Stealing a Great Idea from the 6600
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 10:08:57 -0000 (UTC)

John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> schrieb:

> It is my impression that
> trapping on fixed point overflow is not very useful, and it's easier
> to do a jump on overflow in the few cases where you care, or the x86
> INTO which you put after the arithmetic operaion to trap if the
> overflow flag is set.

Sanitzers would benefit greatly from trapping math.

However, this could get into murky territory - to be really
general, you would also need a version for trapping math with
unsigned numbers.  Just think of doing a unsigned loop with a
lower bound that, due to some error in the code or input, has an
upper bound of 0-1...