Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1r0io$2s6b9$1@dont-email.me>

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-11 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 12 May 2024 11:08:22 -0700

On 5/12/2024 8:43 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> As an aside, I caught "Funny Girl" on stage.  I couldn't help but
>> constantly compare it to the movie.  There were obviously lots of
>> similarities with scenes and bits of dialogue that were identical in
>> both.  But to my surprise the stage version had Fanny's mother and
>> Fanny's friend who helped her get her first job as major characters
>> throughout.  While they were afterthoughts at best in the movie.  And
>> the lady who played the role on stage knocked it out of the park.  She
>> was better than Streisand in the movie IMO.
>
> Glad you enjoyed it.
>
> Yes, it can be horrifying the major changes that are made in adaptation.
> I've always wanted to see a revival of A Funny Thing Happened on the way
> to the Forum because the movie adaptation is so vile (despite how much
> of the Broadway cast was kept) but I've never noticed a revival.

I don't think I've ever watched the movie.  I think I recorded it once
years ago and made it maybe 5 minutes in before deleting it.  LOL  I've
never watched the stage version either.  Good to know if it ever comes
to town it will be better than the movie.

> Several years ago I discussed a revival of Cabaret that I attended that
> was based on the Broadway show before it was extensively revised, and
> how very different it was from the movie. A great deal of the score was
> dropped for the movie.
>
> The Music Man is pretty much a straight adaptation; one song was
> changed.

I watched the movie once *maybe* twice and liked it.  But it's not one
I've wanted to revisit.  I've never watched it live on stage.

> My Fair Lady, ignoring the controversy that a non-singer Audrey Hepburn
> was cast, is different even though they didn't drop any songs. The
> musical and Shaw's play Pygmalion are bawdier, as you can see in the
> Wendy Hiller/Leslie Howard movie.

I saw this live on stage a few years ago.  This is another one I would
never have gone to see but for season tickets which forces me to watch
everything  that comes to town.  But I sort of like being forced to go
see shows I wouldn't otherwise go see.  Sometimes I am very pleasantly
surprised by how much I like them.

> Gigi was a movie musical. Amusingly, they bought rights to the Colette
> story AND the stage play because her estate kept selling rights they no
> longer owned and it was just cheaper to buy the subsequent rights than
> to sue to extinguish them. It's been adapted for musical theater but
> I've never bothered to see it on stage. It includes a song written for
> My Fair Lady!

I don't think I've ever watched the movie.  I had no idea it was also a
stage musical.  Every time I see Gigi, I immediately think 60s beach movie.