Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2a9es$1ct7p$3@i2pn2.org>

From: Richard Damon <richard@damon-family.org>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Can D simulated by H terminate normally?
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 09:11:56 -0400
 <v0lh24$123q3$1@dont-email.me> <v0lic7$2g492$3@i2pn2.org>
 <v0lkas$12q0o$3@dont-email.me> <v0loq2$2g493$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v0lq7d$14579$2@dont-email.me> <v0ls98$2g492$7@i2pn2.org>
 <v0m29q$166o1$1@dont-email.me> <v0m37e$2gl1e$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v0m3v5$16k3h$1@dont-email.me> <v0m55t$2gl1f$3@i2pn2.org>
 <v0m5sn$172p4$1@dont-email.me> <v0m7em$2gl1f$5@i2pn2.org>
 <v0m7tq$17dpv$1@dont-email.me> <v0m8g9$2gl1e$6@i2pn2.org>
 <v0m978$17k7o$3@dont-email.me> <v0mko6$2hf3s$2@i2pn2.org>
 <v0n59h$1h98e$1@dont-email.me> <v0o037$2j1tu$3@i2pn2.org>
 <v0oc65$1q3aq$3@dont-email.me> <v0p9ts$2ki5r$6@i2pn2.org>
 <v0q1rk$2a3u1$1@dont-email.me> <v0qkti$2m1nf$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v0r4a3$2hb7o$6@dont-email.me> <v0rsbr$2m1nf$6@i2pn2.org>
 <v0segm$2v4oq$1@dont-email.me> <v0t8o9$2p3ri$2@i2pn2.org>
 <v0tpjf$3881i$5@dont-email.me> <v0ulma$2qov4$1@i2pn2.org>

On 5/1/24 8:10 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

> But you refuse to listen.
>
> Remember, YOU are the one saying you are needing to change the
> definition from the classical theory, where we have things well defined.
>
> YOU have decider that H is just whatever C code you want to write for
> it, and D is the input proved. (which doesn't actually match the Linz or
> Sipser proof, but fairly close).
>
> With THAT set of definitions we have a lot of options that break your
> incorrectly assumed results.
>
> The first method has been discussed here by Flibble. While the final
> answer he got to doesn't fit the requirements, the first part of the
> method DOES show that it is possible for an H to simulate to past line 3.
>
> THe basic idea is that if H(M,d) finds that its simulation of M(d) get
> to a call to H(M,d) then rather that your idea of just saying it will
> get stuck and declair the input invalid, since there ARE a number of
> possible inputs that there is a "correct" answer that H can give to
> match the behavior of the direct execution of M(d), what H does is fork
> its simulation into two threads.
>
> Thread 1 continues the simulation assuming that the call to H(M,d) will
> return a 1, and if that simulation reaches a halting state, then 1 is
> the answer, and thread 2 can be abandoned.
>
> Thread 2 continues the simulation assuming that the call to H(M,d) will
> return a 0, and if that simulation reaches a provable non-halting
> pattern, then 0 is the answer, and thread 1 can be abandoned.
>
> It may be the case that BOTH answer could be correct, in which case
> depending on exactly how the forking works and how long it takes each to
> get to the answer, either answer might be given, but then, both are
> correct.
>
> It may be the case that neither answer can be shown correct, if Thread
> one can prove that it will be non-halting and Thread 2 halts, then the
> decider has proven the machine to be "contrary" to it. But it might be
> the case that it never can figure that out, and it just doesn't answer.
>
> But, in all cases, it gets past the call to H(M,d), so your criteria,
> that NO H can get there is not meet.
>

> The second method uses the fact that you have not restricted what H is
> allowed to do, and thus H can remember that it is simulating, and if a
> call to H shows that it is currently doing a simulation, just
> immediately return 0. Thus, H can actually correct simulate the
> instruction at the call to H, as they will execute just a few
> instructions testing that condition and returning, and thus not run into
> the problem you ran into where H just couldn't simulate itself because
> it got bogged down.
>
> In this case it is actually true that the direct execution of D(D)
> differs from the correct simulation of the input by H, as H is no longer
> a "Computation" per the rules of Computation Theory, but you have
> admitted that you are abandoning those, so it doesn't matter (of course
> [...]

above is the part of the message where I proved your claim wrong.

Note in particular, the second method.

H just begins with the code:

int H(ptr x, ptr y) {
   static int flag = 0;
   if (flag) return 0;
   flag = 1

/* rest of H as is, but disabling the skipping of the simulation of H
itself */

}

Note, This makes H not a "pure function" but that was explicitly NOT a
requirement of you claim, only that no C function "H" could simulated
the provided D past its call to H.

This H does, and because your structure explicitly puts H in the same
execution context as D, they share that static value of flag, so the D
call sees the flag as 1 and thus it returns immediately, and then D will
reach its end state,

Thus, your claim that this is categorically impossible is disproven, and
you are proven to not have sufficent understanding of the semantics of
the C programing language, and that you habitually claim as obviously or
self-evident truth things that are not, so any such statement from you
is likely a LIE.