Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2gl3u$7hoj$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++
Subject: Re: Can someone please verify the execution trace of this?
Date: Mon, 20 May 2024 18:07:42 -0500

On 5/20/2024 5:59 PM, Sam wrote:
> olcott writes:
>
>> On 5/19/2024 8:52 PM, Bonita Montero wrote:
>>>
>>> That's not research, that's nonsense.
>>>

>> This is not the forum to show that it is not nonsense this is
>> a simple C question that I should not even have to ask except
>> for a few people in another forum that consistently lie about
>> the answer.
>
> It's much more preferrable to show actual C code, when asking a C
> question,

I can't really do that when I refer to an infinite set of H/D pairs
based on a C programming template.

This is the actual code that does compile.

typedef int (*ptr)();
int H(ptr P, ptr I);

int D(ptr x)
{
   int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
   if (Halt_Status)
     HERE: goto HERE;
   return Halt_Status;
}

int main()
{
   H(D,D);
   return 0;
}

H is the infinite set of every H that correctly simulates
N steps of D.

> instead of something that looks like BASIC. There are ways of
> annotating C code that still manages to accomplish the feat of resulting
> in valid C code, that reads naturally to anyone who expects to read C or
> C++.

I had to refer to line numbers to show the exact
execution trace. I can't do that without line numbers.

>> I have been a professional C++ developer since Y2K. So I already
>> know the answer, I just need some competent people in this forum
>> to attest to this answer. I met Bjarne Stroustrup back when he
>> was going around the country promoting his new language.
>
> Big deal. You were hoping to impress someone? I've got about a decade on
> you, and I wrote my own K&R C compiler, long before Y2K. I don't brag
> about it. Sit down, kid.

People were acting like I was totally clueless. I had a hard
time writing the code to translate control flow instructions
of C until I found out about
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_syntax_tree
Then it was easy.

>> --
>> Copyright 2024 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius
>> hits a target no one else can see." Arthur Schopenhauer
>
> Of course. A copyright statement. How impressive.
>
> Your delusions of self-grandeur are only your delusions, not shared by
> anyone else.

I am only asking about the behavior of a single
C function template.