Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2hcm3$f1pd$1@dont-email.me>

From: Thomas Koenig <tkoenig@netcologne.de>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Making Lemonade (Floating-point format changes)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2024 05:49:55 -0000 (UTC)
 <memo.20240512203459.16164W@jgd.cix.co.uk> <v1rab7$2vt3u$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240513151647.0000403f@yahoo.com> <v1to2h$3km86$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240514221659.00001094@yahoo.com> <v234nr$12p27$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240516001628.00001031@yahoo.com> <v2cn4l$3bpov$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2d9sv$3fda0$1@dont-email.me> <20240519203403.00003e9b@yahoo.com>
 <v2etr0$3s9r0$1@dont-email.me> <20240520113045.000050c5@yahoo.com>
 <v2ff99$3vq7q$1@dont-email.me> <20240520153630.00000b5a@yahoo.com>
 <v2g529$4fn7$1@dont-email.me>
 <be08fc860572f2ea80b6d3530161aefd@www.novabbs.org>
 <v2guog$ctck$1@dont-email.me>

BGB <cr88192@gmail.com> schrieb:

> Granted, they are not necessarily the option one would go if they wanted
> "cheapest possible FPU that is still good enough to be usable".
>
> Though, the point at which an FPU manages to suck badly enough that one
> needs to resort to software emulation to make software work, is probably
> a lower limit.
>

> Luckily, "uses 754 formats, but with aggressive cost cutting" can be
> "good enough", and so long as they more-or-less deliver a full width
> mantissa, and can exactly compute exact-value calculations, most
> software is generally going to work.

This will require extensive testing and possibly modification for
a lot of software ported to such a system.  This will drive up
the total cost, presumably far more than any hardware savings.

> But OTOH, if 1.0+2.0 gives 2.999999, that is, not good enough, so there
> is a lower limit here.

An example of a more interesting question is

  if (a >= 0.) {
    if (b >= 0) {
      if (a + b < a) {
        printf("We should never get here!\n);