Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2ktd5$16qp5$2@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++
Subject: Re: Can D correctly simulated by H reach its own line 06 and halt?
Date: Wed, 22 May 2024 08:53:41 -0500

On 5/22/2024 6:50 AM, Bonita Montero wrote:

>>> typedef int (*ptr)();  // ptr is pointer to int function in C
>>
>> You're stuck in an infinite loop. Try pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL. This will
>> break you out of your infinite loop.
>
> I think he is stuck in a mental infinite loop.
>

>> Then, it's time to figure out how to fix your infinite loop. You need
>> to attach a debugger. I saw Jerry do this once to Tom, by sticking
>> Tom's tail into a socket. You don't have a tail. But you have hands.
>> With plenty of fingers. You only need two (don't worry about the
>> ground plug). Your fingers are probably too thick to fit. You need a
>> pair of forks.

typedef int (*ptr)();  // ptr is pointer to int function in C
00       int H(ptr p, ptr i);
01       int D(ptr p)
02       {
03         int Halt_Status = H(p, p);
04         if (Halt_Status)
05           HERE: goto HERE;
06         return Halt_Status;
07       }
08
09       int main()
10       {
11         H(D,D);
12         return 0;
13       }

It is trivial to see that for every H/D pair of the infinite
set of H/D pairs that match the above template that

D correctly simulated by H cannot possibly reach its own final
state at line 06 and halt because D correctly simulated by
H remains stuck in recursive simulation.

This provides the basis for simulating termination analyzer H to
correctly determine that the halting problem's counter-example
input D cannot possibly halt.