Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2pv3d$2ae8o$3@dont-email.me>

From: Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: "The first Copilot+ PC has been tested and it destroys the
 MacBook"
Date: Fri, 24 May 2024 07:53:17 -0400

On 2024-05-23 10:57 p.m., rbowman wrote:
> On Thu, 23 May 2024 21:30:43 -0400, Joel wrote:
>
>> I find this very pertinent, because it shows that there really is a
>> potential to, quickly, supplant IntelAMD CPUs.  Not that the two
>> architectures won't coexist for a while, of course, but new hardware
>> could overwhelmingly go ARM, before long.  Then again, Intel and/or AMD
>> could have something up their sleeve, for all I know, but it's
>> nevertheless clear that Microsoft knows they can't compete on certain
>> things with Apple's chips, without adopting the new architecture
>> themselves, and the OEMs could follow the example.
>
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/05/one-difference-with-this-wave-of-
> arm-pcs-all-the-big-pc-makers-are-actually-on-board/
>
> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/newsroom/news/intel-arm-team-up-
> power-startups.html
>
> https://siliconangle.com/2023/10/23/nvidia-amd-reportedly-developing-arm-
> based-pc-processors/
>
> Intel and AMD haven't been snoozing. AMD's Opteron series from about 8
> years ago was ARM based but it never went anywhere. Build the software and
> they will come. It didn't work for RT but with both Windows ARM and Linux
> ARM versions they smell blood.
>
> It will also get a bit confusing. Arm.com, the company, currently has
> Cortex-A, Cortex-M, Cortex-R, and Cortex-X.  A is general purpose, with X
> following A although they are vague. R is realtime and is very
> specialized. M is the microcontroller line that I'm playing with on the
> Pico W.  Apple was free to call their processors anything they want but an
> Apple M4 is definitely not a Cortex-M4.
>
> The x86 family started as an interim band-aid on an 8080 but IBM yada-yada
> and the rest is history. It's been hard at work for over 40 years; maybe
> it's time for retirement.

As an end-user, it should be the same to me. However, even I think that
x86-64 needs to go. Considering how far they are able to go with ARM in
terms of extending battery life, cutting power consumption and removing
the need for cooling, it only makes sense. It should especially be of
interest to hippies if they are truly concerned about society's general
energy usage.

--
Andrzej (Andre) Matuch
TG: @AndrzejMatuch