Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3jg38$3o8nk$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott2@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Can an abort decider be defined that cannot be fooled by any
 pathological input?
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 19:37:19 -0500

On 3/25/2024 7:22 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> But that isn't the question.
>>>

>> *That <is> the abort decision question*
>
> But you agreed that a correct abort decider oly NEEDS to abort its
> simulation if the correct simulation by a pure correct simulator of the
> input given to H (which doesn't change, so for this case, still calls
> that original H) will never reach a final state.
>

>>> The question is does that machine described by the input Halt when
>>> run, or, alternatively, does its correct simulation (not just by H)
>>> run forever (and thus needs to be aborted)?
>>>

>> Since you know that H(D,D) must abort its simulation to prevent its
>> own infinite execution I don't understand why you would lie about it.
>
> But an H that doesn't abort and an H that does abort are looking at
> different inputs "D", since you agree that the behavior of D changes
> based on the H that it is using.

Not at all. Of the infinite set of every possible implementation of
H where H(D,D) simulates its input everyone that chose to abort is
necessarily correct.

I don't understand why you persist in lying about this.

>> I really want to get on to the next step and see if any input can
>> fool an abort decider into making the wrong abort decision.
>
> But you need to get this step right first.
>

>> Perhaps you already know that you are not up to this challenge?
>
> No, it seems that YOU are not up to it, as you can't seem to understand
> the error that you are making.
>
> You keep on lying to yourself about what your requirements are.

I am not the one that keeps using the strawman deception to change
the subject away from H(D,D) an abort decider for the above D.