Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4rekj$180pg$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Fred. Zwarts" <F.Zwarts@HetNet.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Simulating termination analyzers for dummies
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2024 09:57:05 +0200

Op 17.jun.2024 om 17:56 schreef olcott:
> On 6/17/2024 9:49 AM, Fred. Zwarts wrote:

>>> Your view here is merely ignorant of the fact that deciders
>>> must report on the behavior specified by their inputs.
>>>

>> It is incorrect to assume that a failing simulation is able to report
>> about its input.
>> The simulation fails, because H0 is unable to simulate itself.
>>

> There is no possible way for the call to H0 by DDD
> correctly simulated by any H0 to return to its caller.

We have not seen a proof for this claim and since H0 has contradictory
requirements nobody else has ever provided a proof.
But OK, lets assume your are right. Simulated H0 is unable to simulate
itself op to its final state and return to its caller, because it was
aborted one cycle before it would return to its caller.

> _DDD()
> [00001fd2] 55               push ebp
> [00001fd3] 8bec             mov ebp,esp
> [00001fd5] 68d21f0000       push 00001fd2 ; push address of DDD
> [00001fda] e8f3f9ffff       call 000019d2 ; call  H0
> [00001fdf] 83c404           add esp,+04
> [00001fe2] 5d               pop ebp
> [00001fe3] c3               ret
> Size in bytes:(0018) [00001fe3]
>
> *THAT THIS IS OVER YOUR HEAD DOES NOT MEAN THAT I AM INCORRECT*
> DDD correctly simulated by H0 *is* the behavior that
> the finite string of x86 machine code of DDD specifies.

It is such a simple fact that H0 cannot possibly correct. If it does not
abort it does not return. If it does abort, it does not see the correct
behaviour that was specified in the input, because it aborted its
simulation one cycle too early to see the behaviour in the input.
H0 fails to do a correct simulation, because it does not process all of
its input, but aborts its input before it can process the part of the
input that also specifies behaviour. The final behaviour specified by
the input is unreachable for the simulator, because it is unable to
simulate itself.

If even such simple facts are over your head, you must be stuck in
rebuttal mode very deeply.