Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v56ntj$onl3$7@i2pn2.org>

From: Richard Damon <richard@damon-family.org>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Why do people here insist on denying these verified facts?
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 10:42:59 -0400

On 6/22/24 10:31 AM, olcott wrote:
> https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Theory-Computation-Michael-Sipser/dp/113318779X/
>
> To understand this analysis requires a sufficient knowledge of
> the C programming language and what an x86 emulator does. HHH0
> and HHH1 have this criteria as their algorithm:

Which you just showed you don't have, since on comp.lang.c++ you thought
that

x *= ++f * ++f;

had defined behavior for primative types for f.

> <MIT Professor Sipser agreed to ONLY these verbatim words 10/13/2022>
>    If simulating halt decider H correctly simulates its input D
>    until H correctly determines that its simulated D would never
>    stop running unless aborted then
>
>    H can abort its simulation of D and correctly report that D
>    specifies a non-halting sequence of configurations.
> </MIT Professor Sipser agreed to ONLY these verbatim words 10/13/2022>

Which used the definition of "Correct Simulation" to mean a simulation
that produces the EXACT results of the direct execution of the machine
being simulated, which requires a simulation that will not "abort" its
simulation, EVER (except by reaching a final state).

You Deciders do not do this, nor do they do this about an actual Correct
Simulation per that definition of the input, so they can not use the
second clause.

> On 10/14/2022 7:44 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>  > I don't think that is the shell game. PO really /has/ an H
>  > (it's trivial to do for this one case) that correctly determines
>  > that P(P) *would* never stop running *unless* aborted.
>  >

> Ben only agrees that the criteria is met for the input. He
> does not agree that the criteria has been meet for non-inputs.

Ben only agrees that H correctly decides the exact criteria that you
state, that no H can "correctly simuate" (per YOUR definition) the input
to a final state. Thus, he is agreeing that you H is a POOP decider, for
this input, but not that it is a HALTING decider for this input, since
its criteria is not the Halting Criteria.

> Computable functions are the formalized analogue of the intuitive
> notion of algorithms, in the sense that a function is computable if
> there exists an algorithm that can do the job of the function, i.e.
> *given an input of the function domain*
> *it can return the corresponding output*
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_function
>
> *That seems to say that non-inputs do not count*

But we aren't talking about "Non-Inputs", and in fact, YOUR arguement
needs to look at the non-inputs, as it allows the input to change when
you argue about other deciders.

The input is the finite string.

The MEANING of that finite string is defined by the PROBLEM. The decider
gets to define the encoding, but not the meaning/behavior of the encoded
items.

Halting DEFINES the meaning/behavior to be that of the directly run
program represented by the input.

> *Here is the verified facts that everyone denies*
> *Here is the verified facts that everyone denies*
> *Here is the verified facts that everyone denies*
> *Here is the verified facts that everyone denies*
>
> void DDD()
> {
>    HHH0(DDD);
> }
>
> int main()
> {
>    Output("Input_Halts = ", HHH0(DDD));
>    Output("Input_Halts = ", HHH1(DDD));
> }
>
> It is a verified fact that the behavior that finite string DDD
> presents to HH0 is that when DDD correctly emulated by HH0
> calls HH0(DDD) that *THIS CALL DOES NOT RETURN*
>
> It is a verified fact that the behavior that finite string DDD
> presents to HH1 is that when DDD correctly emulated by HH1
> calls HH0(DDD) that *THIS CALL DOES RETURN*

The problem is that the "behavior" that the finite string DDD presents
to HH0, is DEFINED by the problem. And if that problem is the Halting
Problem, that behavior is the behavior of the machine the input
represents. If HH0 treats the input as having a different behavior, then
HH0 just isn't a Halting Decider, but something else.

If HH0 is supposed to be a Halting decider, but uses a method that makes
it see something other than that behavior, then it is just an incorrect
Halting Decider, and its algorithm just creates an incorrect recreation
of the property of the input it is supposed to be working on.

A bit of a side note, the actual "Input" to HH0, is a pointer to memory,
and as such it passes a reference to ALL of memory considering the
starting point to be that address, so your "Input" isn't actually the
few bytes of DDD, but ALL of memory and a starting point. If you
actually mean that the input is just those few bytes pointed to by the
address, then the input is improperly formed and is NOT a proper
representation of the input machine, becuase it is incomplete.

The fact you don't understand this, seems to imply you are lacking the
basic knowledge to be talking about this sort of thing.