Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v59726$bko6$2@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Simulating termination analyzers by dummies --- criteria is met
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 08:13:42 -0500
 <v4qe53$a0nm$1@i2pn2.org> <v4qn65$10qh6$1@dont-email.me>
 <v4qnkf$a0nm$5@i2pn2.org> <v4qpvo$10qh6$2@dont-email.me>
 <v4qrmd$a0nm$6@i2pn2.org> <v4qrr8$15beg$1@dont-email.me>
 <v4qsav$a0nn$3@i2pn2.org> <v4qtaa$15gc5$1@dont-email.me>
 <v4qu3p$a0nm$7@i2pn2.org> <v4quti$15nn8$1@dont-email.me>
 <v4rrge$bivn$1@i2pn2.org> <v4s1l0$1boeu$6@dont-email.me>
 <v4seq5$cbcu$1@i2pn2.org> <v4sfuo$1enie$1@dont-email.me>
 <v4shpp$cbcu$2@i2pn2.org> <v4st0g$1hjnp$1@dont-email.me>
 <v4sull$2f03$1@news.muc.de> <v4svmn$1i267$1@dont-email.me>
 <v4u8cu$1o15$1@news.muc.de> <v4uoj9$1vpm0$10@dont-email.me>
 <v50ena$2ecrp$1@dont-email.me> <v50fcc$2efr5$1@dont-email.me>
 <v51gli$2kgr3$1@dont-email.me> <v51hgt$2kigj$1@dont-email.me>
 <v5393g$3286d$3@dont-email.me> <v53ul0$35vak$5@dont-email.me>
 <v560kp$3lqrq$2@dont-email.me> <v56i4t$3or0r$2@dont-email.me>
 <v56jfu$onl3$4@i2pn2.org> <v56m2g$3or0r$8@dont-email.me>
 <v58ki1$8e51$1@dont-email.me>

On 6/23/2024 2:57 AM, Mikko wrote:
> On 2024-06-22 14:11:28 +0000, olcott said:

>>> And, as I remember, he also verified that he disagrees with your
>>> definition of correct simulation.

>>> Right, Ben was willing to do what I am not that you can prove that,
>>> by your definition, H can show that it "must" abort its simulation or
>>> the input will run forever.
>>>
>>> But, just like me, he also agrees that this is NOT the defintion of
>>> Halting, so H is just shown to be a correct (partial) POOP decider
>>> but ot a Halt Decider, not even for that one input.
>>>

>> On 10/14/2022 7:44 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>>  > I don't think that is the shell game. PO really /has/ an H
>>  > (it's trivial to do for this one case) that correctly determines
>>  > that P(P) *would* never stop running *unless* aborted.
>>  >
>>  > He knows and accepts that P(P) actually does stop. The
>>  > wrong answer is justified by what would happen if H
>>  > (and hence a different P) where not what they actually are.
>>  >
>> *Ben agrees that the criteria is met for the input*
>>
>> Computable functions are the formalized analogue of the
>> intuitive notion of algorithms, in the sense that a function
>> is computable if there exists an algorithm that can do the
>> job of the function, i.e. *given an input of the function*
>> *domain it can return the corresponding output*
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_function
>>
>> *Ben disagrees that the criteria is met for the non-input*
>> Yet no one here can stay focused on the fact that non-inputs
>> *DO NOT COUNT*
>
> In particular, you can't. You have insisted that your "decider"
> or "anlyzer" (or whatever word you happen to use) H or HH (or
> hwatever name you happen to use) must return false because a
> non-input (where instead of the actually called function another
> function that does not halt is called) does not halt.

You said it backwards. When I say that I am not guilty and did
not rob the liquor store you cannot paraphrase this as he admitted
that he robbed the liquor store.

H performs a sequence of finite string transformations on
its finite input of x86 machine code. These transformations
include that D calls H(D,D) while being simulated by H. In
such a case the call from D to H(D,D) cannot possibly return.