Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5c4ic$10h5s$1@dont-email.me>

From: Antonio Marques <no_email@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Re:=20To=20waffle,=20=E2=80=98to=20waver,?=
 =?UTF-8?Q?=20to=20vacillate,=20to=20equivocate,=20to=20dither=E2=80=99?=
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 15:49:32 -0000 (UTC)
 <878qyubqar.fsf@parhasard.net>
 <9fea766cbbc374662852afbbd2fe511b@www.novabbs.com>

jerryfriedman <jerry.friedman99@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aidan Kehoe wrote:
>

>> Ar an ceathrú lá de mí Bealtaine, scríobh jerryfriedman:

>> inquire
>> 'dither'.

>> why. As
>> don't
>> for the
>> english

>> or
>> alt.usage.english.
>>>
>>> I disagree wth both sentences. What's an example of an impersonal
>> passive in
>>> English that anyone would say? And if Antonio tries posting
>> sentences
>> like
>>> that on the Internet as, say, Anthony Marks, I'll bet it wouldn't be
>> long
>>> till someone asked him what his native language is.
>
>> https://books.google.com/books?q="it+was+said"
>
>> Now, a lot of those results are from court reports and so don’t qualify
>> as
>> “anyone would say,” but that register of English is still English.
>
> I think "It was said that" isn't what Antonio meant by "impersonal
> passive".  In "It was said that", the "It" refers to the thing that was
> said,

I don't think it does, just like my 'it' doesn't either:

It was said (that ...)
It was said (quote)
It is often said (that ...)
It is often said a picture is worth a thousand words

In all cases, 'it' doesn't refer to anything. It's there because the syntax
requires a subject. The thing you think it refers to is the object, not the
subject.

> but Antonio said his "It" did not refer to "dither".
>
> I don't object to calling "It was said that..." an impersonal passive,
> though, and I may have misunderstood Antonio.
>
>> Is the British Council wrong?
>
>> https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/grammar/c1-grammar/advanced-passives-review#:~:text=The%20impersonal%20passive%20has%20two,from%20the%20third%20century%20BCE.
>
> They're right, because they rule out Antonio's sentence; they say
> what follows the past participle must be either a "that" clause or
> an infinitive (with "to").

No, they go to the trouble of parenthesising 'that'.