Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v9ldu4$11gdn$1@dont-email.me>

From: Stephen Fuld <sfuld@alumni.cmu.edu.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Article on new mainframe use
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2024 10:29:41 -0700

On 8/15/2024 9:04 AM, George Neuner wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Aug 2024 20:14:57 +0000, mitchalsup@aol.com (MitchAlsup1)
> wrote:
>
>> It says:: "please enable JS and disable add-blocker"
>>
>> ha
>
> 8-)  I do allow JS, but I tightly control it with NoScript.
>

> The article started ok, talking about how certain applications are
> latency sensitive and how they could benefit from having an AI be
> resident on the mainframe.

Yes.

> Actually a good portion of the article seemed rather positive on the
> idea of implementing AI models on mainframes.  Unfortunately it
> devolves into implications that AI doesn't play nice with COBOL and
> that mainframes can't be programmed in other languages.

As I sort of said in my original post, I agree with your comment completely.

> Not knowing COBOL well, I can't speak to the former.

I don't know how IBM implemented its interface to the neural net
chiplet, but I would guess it is some sort of function call from the
main program.  Since COBOL has this capability, I don't see the problem.
  And I doubt IBM would have developed the capability if it could be
accessed be accessed by pretty much any language that is commonly used
on its computers.  But again, I don't know the details.

> The latter,
> however, is bullshit.

Of course.

Another part of the article I found interesting is the market
information of who uses mainframes, and the market size.

--
  - Stephen Fuld