Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<va5ec2$3vluh$1@dont-email.me>

From: David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell,comp.unix.programmer,comp.lang.misc
Subject: Re: Python (was Re: I did not inhale)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2024 21:15:14 +0200
 <20240412094809.811@kylheku.com> <87il0mm94y.fsf@tudado.org>
 <way-20240413091747@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de> <87il0lldf8.fsf@tudado.org>
 <choices-20240413123957@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
 <v9lm2k$12qhv$1@dont-email.me> <v9m4gd$14scu$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240815182717.189@kylheku.com> <v9npls$1fjus$1@dont-email.me>
 <v9t204$2dofg$1@dont-email.me> <va28pi$3dldm$1@dont-email.me>
 <va2ro9$3gd7v$1@dont-email.me> <va2vt0$3h3gj$1@dont-email.me>
 <va44rh$3p1l6$1@dont-email.me> <va45eq$3pkt9$1@dont-email.me>
 <va4aut$3q4g0$1@dont-email.me> <va4fbr$3qvij$1@dont-email.me>
 <va5108$3tmmd$1@dont-email.me> <va51ok$3tqr9$1@dont-email.me>

On 21/08/2024 17:40, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Aug 2024 17:27:04 +0200
> David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no> boringly babbled:
>> On 21/08/2024 12:26, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> Trying to understand the Linux documentation for UARTs is a nightmare.
>> They are horrendous - the APIs, structs, flag sets, etc., are a vast
>> jumble of crap for handling terminals that haven't been seen outside a
>> museum for 50 years, long before Linux was conceived.  Trying to get the
>
> Unfortunately terminals are complex beasts with many permutations though
> all that should be a higher level that what you were doing with a UART.

Agreed.  It is bad design to mix terminal handling with UART handling.

>> Even better, of course, is to ditch C and use Python - "pyserial" does
>> it all, simply and cleanly.  (And the same code works on Windows, if
>
> The problem with pyserial is you have to use Python. Horrible language
> though like BASIC, useful for teaching kids to code.

Let's just say, opinions differ.  Python /can/ be used for beginner
programmers - but it is also an excellent language for many real tasks.
Of course it has its weaknesses and disadvantages as well as its
strengths, and aspects that will appeal to some programmers and not others.