Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vafn6h$1vs20$2@dont-email.me>

From: David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Top 10 most common hard skills listed on resumes...
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 18:47:13 +0200

On 25/08/2024 14:09, John Forkosh wrote:
> David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no> wrote:
>> John Forkosh wrote:
>>> I came across
>>>        https://www.fastcompany.com/91169318/
>>> where I was quite surprised, and very happily so,
>>> to see C listed as #3 on its list of
>>>        "Top 10 most common hard skills listed in 2023"
>>> (scroll about halfway down for that list). Moreover,
>>> C++ doesn't even make it anywhere in that top-10 list.
>>> So is that list sensible??? I'd personally be delighted
>>> if so, but I'm suspicious it may just be wishful thinking
>>> on my part, and some kind of goofiness on the list's author.
>>
>> As far as I see, the article is about what people put on their CV's -
>> not what they /should/ put, or what potential employers want.
>> Basically, it is pretty useless - you could use it to argue that people
>> think (rightly or wrongly) that C skills are useful for getting a job,
>> or that people with C skills are regularly out of a job and needing to
>> apply for a new one.
>>
>> And you can also expect that the people behind the article don't know
>> the difference between C, C++ and C#.
>
> Yeah, I guess "C is #3" was just unlikely wishful thinking
> on my part (I'm now hoping my lottery ticket is a winner).

You wished to fine C rated at number three on a list, without much
concern about the relevance of the list to anything?  That's an odd
wish, but I'm happy it was fulfilled for you!

> So, is there any reasonably reliable such "Top 10" list?

Reliable for what?

> If so, where? If not, where would C fall on it if it did
> exist? (I'd probably guess C>10, so make that a "Top 100"
> list, as needed.)

If you are talking about a list of programming languages people probably
should have on their CV's, it depends totally on the job.  When people
are applying to work as software developers at my company, if they don't
have C on their list, it's unlikely we will bother with an interview.
C++ would be good, assembly would be good.  Listing "Excel" in
programming languages would count negatively.