Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vafouc$20j4p$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bart <bc@freeuk.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Top 10 most common hard skills listed on resumes...
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 18:17:01 +0100

On 25/08/2024 17:17, Michael S wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Aug 2024 16:30:17 +0100
> Bart <bc@freeuk.com> wrote:

>>> c is mid level language - i mean it has more sense to call c that
>>> way than call it low level or high level
>>>

>> So what language goes between Assembly and C?
>>

> Popular today? Not many. In the past? PL/M, BLISS. Although the former
> is at almost the same level as C.
>
>> There aren't many!
>
> Because C is seen as good enough.

Because it's seen off most of the competition, partly thanks to the
dominance of Unix.

Lots of younger people now think that C is what a lower level, systems
language is supposed to look like.

>> So it's reasonable to consider C as being at the
>> lowest level of HLLs.
>>
>> Putting C at mid-level would make for a very cramped space above it
>> as 99% of languages would have to fit in there.
>>

> Why is it a problem?

It's only a problem if the aim is to classify languages according to
perceived level say from 1 to 100. Then you don't start by classifying
one of the lowest level ones as 50.

If plotting such a chart (say level vs. year of introduction), half of
it would be empty.