Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<valar7$3404k$1@dont-email.me>

From: David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Top 10 most common hard skills listed on resumes...
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2024 21:53:11 +0200

On 27/08/2024 21:16, Keith Thompson wrote:
> David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no> writes:

>>> The same could be said of Python.
>>
>> Python does not support any significant degree of low-level programming.
>>
>> A key example of low-level programming is control of hardware, which
>> on most systems means accessing memory-mapped registers at specific
>> addresses, reading and writing in specific orders.  Python has no
>> means to do any of that - C and C++ both provide this ability.
>> (Micropython, a subset of Python targeting microcontrollers and small
>> systems, has library modules that can do this.)
>
> I've used Python's mmap module to access /dev/kmem on an embedded
> Linux system, accessing fixed addresses defined by an FPGA image.
> (The mmap module happens to be part of the core Python distribution.)

There are /always/ ways to get around things (especially on Linux, where
you have such "backdoors").  That is why I said Python does not support
low-level programming to any /significant/ degree.  "low-level" vs.
"high-level" is not a binary distinction.  Typically if you have Python
code controlling some hardware, it is via a Python module with a C
implementation, or with ctypes and an external shared library - not
directly from Python.

> This is one of several reasons why we have different newsgroups for
> different langauges.

Sure.  It's not really the place to get into details of other languages,
but it is a thread that compares C to other languages.