Article <00vh9jtk7a9fl8l5bnd3j1c9c01kblpmuv@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<00vh9jtk7a9fl8l5bnd3j1c9c01kblpmuv@4ax.com>

From: John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: New Bike Path
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2024 18:50:11 +0700
References: <5UPjO.27230$zXH9.13695@fx01.ams4> <etjv8jlj9nngkc8c198gf89np71i55sc2m@4ax.com> <v6oskl$2frbh$1@dont-email.me> <z9VjO.57191$VBH2.30514@fx16.ams4> <v6qu9q$2jvdo$1@dont-email.me> <N5hkO.14857$tUK1.4825@fx07.ams4> <v72unp$k5kl$4@dont-email.me> <BFblO.44499$ku13.15360@fx13.ams4> <v73nvv$pqin$2@dont-email.me> <VQdlO.178026$0SEc.45366@fx02.ams4> <d8eg9jtkkacslvvp1lb1u2g58alc9pt4lh@4ax.com> <k95mO.45893$rMbd.18000@fx08.ams4> <g3sh9jpr89rb34kag53f2j08t4drmlof63@4ax.com>

On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 07:09:31 -0400, Catrike Ryder
<Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 09:22:24 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>>> I see those "terrible, dangerous" bidirectional sidepaths being built
>>> all around here. The fact that a few timid bicyclists are afraid to
>>> ride on them hasn't deterred the rest of us.
>>>

>>Ones I see and use are by some margin better designed than the stuff Frank
>>has managed to find, ie entry on off and generally managed junctions and so
>>on.
>>
>>Every chance yours are closer to mine than his, as well he’s been selective
>>as ever.
>>
>>Roger Merriman
>
>I doubt that there is ever going to be a big movement to ban him from
>riding on the streets and roads where he likes to ride, at least not
>in the USA. If there is, I would definitely oppose it.
>
>On the other hand, Krygowski seems hell-bent on coercing everyone, or
>even forcing them through legislation, to be more like him. Now,
>there's a truly repulsive thought, but fortunately, he's failing on
>both fronts.
>
>I rather like making my own decisions about most things.

I keep reading all this foolishness about bike paths and all the
problems. Why not just do as we do here in Thailand?  see
https://touringthailandblog.wordpress.com/road-info/
Notice in many photos there is a center line and two white lines near
the edge of the road. The area behind the white line is for bicycles,
small motorcycles and other slow vehicles.

The below shows heavy traffic over the largest holiday of the year and
see that small left hand lane is not used by autos even in heavy
traffic.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2715106/holiday-traffic-crawling-out-of-capital

Of course this is not absolutely without problems as particularly in
cities that outer lane serves as a bus lane and in some places a
parking lane.

--
Cheers,

John B.