Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<01kh4j9dsbnrm7c6drktrf48u9vsiji5go@4ax.com>

From: John Larkin <jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Dressing RG6
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 09:00:09 -0700
References: <v204qu$99qs$1@dont-email.me> <v206dp$9pib$1@dont-email.me> <v20ads$aoqc$1@dont-email.me> <20240514b@crcomp.net> <66h74j1vfmbjvvl98jk1k017pimtinv2l5@4ax.com> <v20m3q$dgcq$1@dont-email.me> <v20n97$dq6r$1@dont-email.me> <20240514d@crcomp.net> <v21tl5$pcju$1@dont-email.me> <pfh94j988bateu0ugvf4qlttqovhc6lnn8@4ax.com> <v2394c$13lvr$2@dont-email.me> <d928b2f4-723e-ae36-6da4-9c39c23abdfa@electrooptical.net> <v2a69f$2pcfu$1@dont-email.me> <v2agq2$2rb2r$1@dont-email.me>

On Sat, 18 May 2024 15:17:22 -0000 (UTC), Phil Hobbs

>Jeroen Belleman <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:

>>> Very interesting results, Jeroen.  Thanks for posting them.
>>>
>>> Is the MF resonance due to the inductive and capacitive coupling
>>> cancelling each other?  (They're 180 degrees out of phase, of course.)
>>>
>>> The frequency is way too low to be a transmission line effect in a 1-m
>>> length.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Phil Hobbs
>>>

>> The original data came from an HP3577 and I recorded only the
>> magnitude. Since this looks like a resonance, that's also what
>> I'd expect.
>>
>> I can't easily go back and look again. I did this in 2009, and
>> I'm now retired. At the time, I was trying to make a choice for
>> cables connecting beam trajectory pick-ups in the CERN PSB to
>> their pre-amplifiers.
>>
>> I suppose -but did not verify- that the dip is a resonance of
>> the outer inductance with a parasitic capacitance of my setup,
>> with the screen resistance as the damping element. I can't quite
>> make it fit that model though. The screen resistance doesn't
>> differ enough between, for example, UT141 and RG58 to explain a
>> deep resonance for the former, and its total absence for the
>> latter.
>>
>> Jeroen Belleman
>>

>Plus you had some pretty frou-frou RG58 there, with foil and two braids.
>
>The normal stuff is one tinned-copper braid with about 80% coverage.  You
>can probably make a directional coupler with a pair of patch cords and some
>heat shrink. (I should try that.)
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

A practical question is what might the coupling be between two close,
parallel coaxes.