Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<09tlckxavs.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

From: "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Clear the cache of an android Cellphone (Moto G Pure)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 14:47:44 +0100

On 2024-03-18 05:21, VanguardLH wrote:
> "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2024-03-18 02:42, knuttle wrote:
>>> I know how to clear the cache for each app on my cellphone.   I believe
>>> that if I do a reset of my phone, all of the caches area cleared.
>>>
>>> Is there some why to clear the caches of all the apps on my cellphone
>>> with out resetting the phone?
>>>
>>> ie Automate the routine to clean each app's cache, so that would go down
>>> the list clearing each app's cache.
>>>
>>> The caches on the phone while individually are small collectively take
>>> up a good chunk of the phones memory.
>>
>> There are tools for freeing up space that do that. I don't remember name
>> just this instant; the one I remember is extinct, they did something bad
>> are were banned. ES something.
>
> ES Explorer.  Spyware.  Also click fraud: their app pretended the user
> clicked on an ad, so they could generate click-through revenue.

Right.

It was a very good tool before they did that. I still have it installed
in some old phone or tablet. I don't understand why they did not revert
what they did bad to continue business.

But there must be some other similar tools that do that cleanup. I have
another one, but it is part of a brand customization.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ES_File_Explorer
>
> Apparently you can use ADB to issue a command to clear all app caches:
>
> adb shell pm trim-caches <release>
>
> where <release> is how much you want to free up.  I use ABD rarely, so
> I'm not sure if trim-caches takes an argument to free all app caches.  I
> suppose you could specify a huge value that would encompass all of it.
> Older versions of Android let you go to Android settings -> Storage ->
> Cached Data to let you clear all app caches at once.  Google giveth and
> taketh.
>
> Unless you don't care about saving on battery and retrieval time,
> caching will require an app to re-retrieve everything it retrieved
> before.  The app will rebuild its cache, and that consumes time (you
> wait for the retrieve), bandwidth, and consumes more power.  Unless an
> app misbehaves (corrupted cache files, incompatible server-side changes,
> buggy apps, or after an OS update), there is no reason to flush app
> caches unless you really are running short on storage space.

Right.

Actually, recent Android versions do an automatic cleanup of apps that
have not been used for a number of months. I have to go round ALL apps
to disable this feature. It is a nuisance having to configure them again
when I do need them. And some of them are tools that do things I need in
the background, not having to open them for months.

> App caching is not in memory.  It is space in storage.  Alas, most phone
> specs reference storage as memory confusing their users.  You might see
> something like:
>
> Memory 	32GB 4GB RAM, 64GB 4GB RAM
>
> The first number is for storage space.  The 2nd number is RAM (memory).
> Caches do not consume RAM.  They consume storage space.

Right.

Cheers, Carlos.