Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<0drv1jht1ruo1k8n3p52l45iuj9b5m7i76@4ax.com>

From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Predictive failures
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:47:53 -0400
References: <uvjn74$d54b$1@dont-email.me> <jg0r1j1r2cdlnhev0v1gaogd3fj0kmdiim@4ax.com> <0s1r1jhb5vfe7lvopuvfk4ndkbt54ud3d9@4ax.com> <rh7r1jhtvqivb43vmt3u9d0snah8fu4pjn@4ax.com> <pbdr1j11kj8sdfrtu4erc8c67s1g8dos9m@4ax.com> <v91t1j914boel60v78kspq9u9rd23jbsai@4ax.com> <5c4t1jt3er7a51macq5mnl8gfsuaipuv2b@4ax.com> <v8ct1jp15rtcpl85t4035fdb6l5084m1v8@4ax.com> <jr6u1j9vmo3a6tpl1evgrvmu1993slepno@4ax.com>

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:48:19 -0700, John Larkin
<jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:20:34 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:16:04 -0700, John Larkin
>><jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com> wrote:

>>>Yes, but the question was whether one could predict the failure of an
>>>operating electronic gadget. The answer is mostly NO.
>>
>>Agree.
>>

>>>We had a visit from the quality team from a giant company that you
>>>have heard of. They wanted us to trend analyze all the power supplies
>>>on our boards and apply a complex algotithm to predict failures. It
>>>was total nonsense, basically predicting the future by zooming in on
>>>random noise with a big 1/f component, just like climate prediction.
>>
>>Hmm.  My first instinct was that they were using MIL-HNBK-317 (?) or
>>the like, but that does not measure noise.  Do you recall any more of
>>what they were doing?  I might know what they were up to.  The
>>military were big on prognostics for a while, and still talk of this,
>>but it never worked all that well in the field compared to what it was
>>supposed to improve on.

>>>Millikelvin temperature changes would make more signal than a failing
>>>via.
>>
>>Not at the currents in that logic card.  Too much ambient thermal
>>noise.

>>>They could repair a bearing at sea, given a heads-up about violent
>>>failure. A serious bearing failure on a single-screw machine means
>>>getting a seagoing tug.
>>>
>>>The main engine gearbox had padlocks on the covers.
>>>
>>>There was also a chem lab to analyze oil and water and such, looking
>>>for contaminamts that might suggest something going on.

>>>Yes, cool and beautiful and serene after the heat and noise and
>>>vibration of the engine room. A quiet 32,000 horsepower.
>>>
>>>It was fun being an electronic guru on sea trials of a ship full of
>>>big hairy Popeye types. I, skinny gawky kid, got my own stateroom when
>>>other tech reps slept in cots in the hold.
>>>
>>>Have you noticed how many lumberjack types are afraid of electricity?
>>>That can be funny.
>>
>>Oh yes.  And EEs frightened by a 9-v battery.
>>
>>Joe Gwinn
>
>I had an intern, an EE senior, who was afraid of 3.3 volts.
>
>I told him to touch an FPGA to see how warm it was getting, and he
>refused.

Yeah.

Not quite as dramatic, but in the last year I have been involved in
some full-scale vibration tests, where a relay rack packed full of
equipment is shaken and resulting phase noise is measured.  People are