Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<0ma6aj1qn5a0io6gagdlrtlqvi6jfh3sp8@4ax.com>

From: Rich Ulrich <rich.ulrich@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,sci.lang
Subject: Re: PTD was the most-respected of the AUE regulars ...
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2024 01:00:20 -0400

On Fri, 26 Jul 2024 04:10:20 +0200, Steve Hayes
<hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Jul 2024 12:41:13 -0700, HenHanna <HenHanna@devnull.tb>
>wrote:
>
>>On 7/22/2024 9:40 PM, Steve Hayes wrote:
>>> PTD was a regular in sci.lang via Googlegroups, and suddenly jumped
>>> into aue as a result of something that was crossposted there.
>>
>>When was that?
>
>I can't remember exactly, but probably about 15-20 years ago.
>
>>> The instance I remember most was when he denied that the town of El
>>> Paso, Illinois, existed, and continued to deny its existence no matter
>>> what evidence was put before him.
>
>>                                    (thanks... i'll look that up)
>
>>       The instance I remember most was when he (PTD) opined that Most
>>Chinese words consisted of 2 Chinese characters.
>>
>>I and another person gave examples
>>            ("Wo ai ni",
>>                 Wood, Water, sky, river, person, paper, ...
>>                 Most basic words and verbs are 1-character)
>>
>>but that was when  PTD  became  [quintessentially PTD].
>>

>>i couldn't quite tell
>>       1. if he was  convinced of some fact, info, or assertion, or
>>       2. if he was  just being like a 5 year old boy.
>
>In his own field he had some useful information, but outside his field
>he could be very dogmatic about things that he simply got wrong.

He and I agree on a lot of politics, and he has a very good
memory for details that most people never notice in the news.
Such as, stuff done by Trump.

If he were still here, I would have asked him by now if he remembered
when Trump justified calling certain articles "fake news" because they
"ought to be uninteresting to everybody, not interesting, therefore,
not newsworthy."  The NY Times report, which was helped by Mary
Trump and Michael Cohen, uncovered various criminal endeavors
especially from the 20th century; these were 'old news' and beyond
the statute of limitations.  The Washington Post report on what his
White House advisors were arguing about some issue was uninteresting
because, in the end, only his OWN opinion would matter, so, no one
should care what anyone else thought.

PTD would probably confirm my memory.  Or else I would figure that
whatever I read, it was totally obscure.  (Anyone else remember?)

--
Rich Ulrich