Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<13vbgkxlad.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

From: "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: AM radio law opposed by tech and auto industries is close to
 passing
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 10:22:25 +0200

On 2024-05-02 10:02, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Thu, 2 May 2024 08:28:35 +0200) it happened "Carlos E.R."
> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote in <kdobgkxras.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>:
>
>> On 2024-05-02 07:24, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>>> AM radio law opposed by tech and auto industries is close to passing
>>>    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/05/am-radio-is-a-lifeline-lawmakers-say-tech-and-auto-industries-disagree/
>>> A recent test of the emergency alert system found only 1 percent got it via AM.
>>>
>>> Strange. most is FM these days, or digital?
>>> Something to do with Soros buying radio stations ;-) ?
>>>

>> You are talking of the USA?
>
> Yes USA
>

>> I would think that there are areas over there where FM in cars does not
>> work, and people have to use AM.
>>
>> It happens in Spain, which is far smaller, so surely it happens in the USA.
>
> I think most if not all high power AM medium wave stations are gone now here in the Netherlands.
> Lots of FM stations though.
>
> All I hear at home on the AM medium wave band is interference from wallwarts
> and  maybe solar panels, what not..
> Electric cars would create more interference...

The other day I had to tune the station I was listening to in AM instead
of FM, because the car would not find the local station or it did not
exist. And the area is very populated (south-east of Spain).

Not the first time.

Yes, I might tune it on internet instead, but it is a pain. Stations
want you to use their own app instead of a generic one, and the generic
often fails (probably because they change the url). I refuse to use the
specific app that requires us to login, so the station can track its
listeners by name.

--
Cheers, Carlos.