Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<17bd00c6f4652161$50579$1585792$4ad50060@news.newsdemon.com>

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 13:38:06 -0400
Subject: Re: The 14th Amendment is Dead... Alll Hail the 14.5 Amendment!
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: moviePig <never@nothere.com>

On 3/14/2024 9:13 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 22:46:19 -0400, moviePig <never@nothere.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Because treating people of two different races differently in the same
>>> situation is the definition of racism.
>>
>> No it isn't, not even practically, no more than gendering bathrooms is
>> sexism.  Behaving negatively towards a particular race is racism.
>>
> Yes it is - "separate but equal" was defined as racism decades ago. At
> least in your country if not mine. (Though Canada does follow US usage
> on this point) Nor is it true that ONLY white people can be racist -
> racism exists in all ethnic groups and colors and nobody gets a 'free
> pass'.
>
> And allowing one man into a "womens' space" like a restroom removes
> its status as a safe place for women which is why the whole 'gender
> identity' debate is so important.
>
> I went into womens' dressing rooms all the time in high school - but
> it was NEVER at a time when women were expected to be using the
> dressing room. (No big deal - in high school sports both dressing
> rooms were used - the home team got the mens' change room, the
> visitors got the womens') Nor would any varsity basketball player
> dream of entering a womens' change room under any other circumstances
> - for instance we never would have gone in during regular school hours
> as it was a 'safe place' then.
>
> With respect to 'safe places' (usually restrooms or change rooms)
> there is clearly a clash between womens' rights and gender identity
> and in cases where a choice has to be made I'll stand by the women
> every time. Because believe it or not most men DO care about the
> safety of their wives and daughters.

'Separate but equal' was a lie, in that 'separate' meant 'not entitled
to associate with whites' -- a clearly negative treatment.  It resembled
laws against 'miscegenation'.  Moreover, of course, no one in his right
mind ever believed the 'equal' promise.

As for gendered bathrooms, I suspect they're no more than a statistical
blip regarding women's physical safety.  The real issue there is mere
social propriety ...even if it's of trauma-level concern to many/most.