Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<17bebbae334656b9$74345$2906873$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

From: Farley Flud <ff@linux.rocks>
Subject: Re: Why Python When There Is Perl?
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 08:54:25 +0000

On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 17:40:34 -0500, Physfitfreak wrote:

> Hmm... I'm not that dedicated to the task. For now, I've made my mind,
> and even have started the "learning curve" if such a thing exists for
> qb64 :-)))

Don't listen to those incompetent chumps.  Learning about hardware
first is critical.

The classic example is recursion.  In the abstract realm recursion
seems highly efficient and elegant.  But such elegance has to ultimately
be translated into machine code and, at this level, recursion becomes
highly inefficient and even idiotic.

It has long ago been proved that all programming can be reduced to
the simple ideas of SEQUENCE and BRANCHING.  Indeed, if you examine
the instruction set of a modern CPU that is ALL that you will find:
sequence and branching (aside from the arithmetic-logic unit).

Fundamental CPU operations are very simple: arithmetic, logic, and
shift.  But from these everything else can be built.

You already know the arithmetic (or most of it).  So start with
the logic tables:

AND
0 and	0	= 0
0 and	1	= 0
1 and	0	= 0
1 and	1	= 1

OR
0 or	0	= 0
0 or	1	= 1
1 or	0	= 1
1 or	1	= 1

XOR
0 xor	0	= 0
0 xor	1	= 1
1 xor	0	= 1
1 xor	1	= 0

These logic operations are used in making decisions that
allow branching, bit conversions, and many other crucial
operations.

How can we know that an ASCII character is uppercase?

char AND 0x20

If the zero condition flag is set then the character is
uppercase.  We can then branch based on the condition flag.

Very simple.

Know these by heart.

This ends today's lesson.

There is only one programming philosophy: fuck that abstract
elegant shit and get back to the machine.