Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<17db54ba30a2c3b8$193234$273357$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

From: Nux Vomica <nv@linux.rocks>
Subject: Re: Need Help - Xpdf Not Rendering Text
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 12:54:01 +0000

On Fri, 21 Jun 2024 22:48:36 +0000, Nux Vomica wrote:

> Opening this file with either qpdfview or mupdf will
> render the images and text.  Opening with xpdf will only
> render the images and not any text.

I have a clue, if not the solution.

Using pdffonts I get this:

pdffonts Example_EBook.pdf
name                                 type              encoding         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- ---------------- --- --- --- ---------
Times-Roman                          Type 1            WinAnsi          no  no  no     577  0
Helvetica                            Type 1            WinAnsi          no  no  no     578  0
Helvetica-Bold                       Type 1            WinAnsi          no  no  no     579  0
Helvetica-Oblique                    Type 1            WinAnsi          no  no  no     580  0
Helvetica-BoldOblique                Type 1            WinAnsi          no  no  no     581  0

Note that these files are NOT embedded, and that means the
system has to supply them.

Checking my .xpdfrc file I see this:

fontFile Times-Roman		/usr/share/fonts/urw-fonts/n021003l.pfb

The "Times-Roman" is mapped to "n021003l.pfb" which is not
in the usr/share/fonts/urw-fonts directory.  The same is
true for the other fonts listed.

Could this be the reason?

If so, then how do qpdfview and mupdf find the appropriate
fonts?

I should examine other PDF files that don't render fonts
with xpdf but it would take me half the fucking day --
and I have other fish to fry.