Article <1c483f9a972618a0db5c00e03b894c3fe6adc1fa@i2pn2.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<1c483f9a972618a0db5c00e03b894c3fe6adc1fa@i2pn2.org>

From: Richard Damon <richard@damon-family.org>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Who knows that DDD correctly simulated by HHH cannot possibly
 reach its own return instruction final state? BUT ONLY that DDD
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2024 07:12:37 -0400
 <v8lv3a$3j30t$1@dont-email.me>
 <9fb36dd006e570bf987f882a8310bc13e8fc04a7@i2pn2.org>
 <v8m331$3ju7r$1@dont-email.me>
 <3ecbe8eddd0f3644c7045e937ccaf6ddc1cdb3a9@i2pn2.org>
 <v8m5a5$3kbok$1@dont-email.me>
 <de8528a486cdc94aec9fc7dc3d0195fdce3b4fbe@i2pn2.org>
 <v8m93b$3l8jv$1@dont-email.me>
 <c50f1d87c5e386a7c388c982a4f7da8c5889e493@i2pn2.org>
 <v8ma68$3lgfl$1@dont-email.me>
 <03571f185bf16590c5e535908467086b1efaffef@i2pn2.org>
 <v8meta$3ma4t$1@dont-email.me>
 <b1e8c0c9b69cc026f777b37bbd49af5d2afddd21@i2pn2.org>
 <v8mqt0$3s736$1@dont-email.me>

On 8/3/24 11:00 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 8/3/2024 9:56 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> It is self-evident and you know it. I do have four
>>> people (two with masters in CS) that attest to that.
>>> *It is as simple as I can possibly make it*
>>
>> Maybe to your mind filled with false facts, but it isn't true.
>>

>>> I wonder how you think that you are not swearing your
>>> allegiance to that father of lies?
>>
>> Because, I know I speak the truth.
>>
>> Why do you not think you are lying?
>>

>>> Anyone that truly understands infinite recursion knows
>>> that DDD correctly simulated by HHH cannot possibly reach
>>> its own "return" final state.
>>
>> Right, but for every other HHH, which the ones that answer are, it
>> isn't a fact.
>>

>>> Surpisingly (to me) Jeff Barnett set the record straight
>>> on exactly what halting means.
>>>

>> No, there is one, and only one definition, it is a machine that
>> reaches its final state.
>>
>> Note, *a machine*, not a (partial) emulation of the machine
>>

> You already know that a complete emulation of a non-ending
> sequence is impossible and you already acknowledged that
> DDD emulated by HHH that never aborts is non-ending.

WHy do you say it is impossible, it just takes forever, just like the
non-halting machine it is emulating.

Yes, it is impossible for a decider to do that, but that is part of the
point, that always being able to decide if a given input/data
combination will halt can't be done with a finite computation.

Nothing says it needs to be able to be done with a finite computation.

It is just a fact that the mapping of Machine/Input -> Halting Status is
an uncomputable mapping, just like a lot of others.

That is part of your problem, because of your confusion of Truth and
Knowledge, you can't understand unprovable facts.