Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<1cvd1jp89cs8jvfccbje8j0bcvqncf8kf5@4ax.com>

From: shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Ping anim
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 16:59:45 -0400

On Wed, 10 Apr 2024 13:38:25 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>In article <k9sd1j9c6lubcssglu2u5f5cki5jfg86ol@4ax.com>,
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Apr 2024 12:55:54 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> >In article
>> ><1782814550.734460645.097495.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,

>> >Yes, L.A.'s ubiquitous and signature palm trees are not native to
>> >California, either. They're an invasive species (actually several
>> >species) that people just happen to find attractive for landscaping.
>> >
>> >I've heard that palms are also technically not trees. Don't know if
>> >that's true or not.
>>
>> So it is just like the tumbleweed. We associate the tumbleweed with
>> the old west and palm trees with Los Angeles/Hollywood and neither one
>> actually belongs there.
>
>The person who told me they're not trees said they're technically a type
>of grass.

Yeah, that seems to be the case judging by this response over the
Googlemeister.

Grasses belong to Poaceae family and Palms belong to Arecaceae family.
Both have parallel venation in leaves. Palm trees do not have bark or
woody tissue like other trees. These are the reasons that it might be
recognized as a grass and not a tree.

So, botanically speaking, palms are big grass. However, when
discussing plants in the landscape, many palms are rather tall so they
are designated as trees to separate them from shrubs and ground
covers.