Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<1qqpolx.1arp4xj1pmszxqN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Survivor!
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 09:45:50 +0000

Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just a quick one. But first, I'd just like to reiterate that I'm
> noting your comments on the ripple thread and will deal with them in
> due course when i have a couple of hours to spare next Sunday.
> Yesterday I had 2 minutes to waste so I blew up another electrolytic
> capacitor - or rather I *tried* to. A 10uF 10V cap across the output
> of a variac with Vo set to 240VAC. There was a considerable *pop* but
> no bang and it turned out the T3.15 Amp fuse in the variac had blown
> spectacularly - but the cap had survived unscathed! Tested fine for
> capacitance and ESR! I never would have believed it. Just wondering
> how the hell it didn't get destroyed...

It's only doing it to annoy you.  Make sure it is run well within its
ratings and put it on a board that has to be buried several layers deep
in some complicated equipment and is rivetted in place.   It will fail
in no time at all and probably take several other valuable components
with it.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk