Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<1quvk5k.dbn40q1ggrom8N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: British (european?) kitchen counter electric outlets
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2024 07:57:17 +0100

Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:

> In the US, we are required (new construction) to have two dedicated 20A
> (2400W) circuits to service countertop "small appliances".  In addition,
> there is also a requirement for a relatively tight spacing between
> (duplex) receptacles -- the intent to keep cords short (IIRC, < 4ft...
> we settled on 3').
>
> SWMBO was watching a britcom and commented at how few receptacles/outlets
> were in evidence to serve the countertop.  Granted, each outlet is rated a
> fair bit higher than US (each US outlet being 2400W -- the full load rating
> of the branch circuit supporting it).  But, still, how do you address
> NUMBERS of appliances in use, concurrently -- where each appliance will
> likely draw only a fraction of the rated branch circuit's current so
> total load isn't an issue?
>
> E.g., we (presently) have a ~1KW microwave oven and a ~1KW toaster as
> ever-present loads.  To that, it is not uncommon to add an electric
> wok, hand or stand mixer, pizzelle iron, etc.  The abundance of
> outlets makes it easy to add appliances as well as providing flexibility
> over where they can be put into use.

We tend to skimp on the number of socket outlet plates in buildings, but
they are usually doubles, each with its own switch.  There are generally
fewer electrical gadgets in UK kitchens and those which are used less
often are stored away in cupboards and only brought out and plugged in
when needed, so a smaller number of outlets is usually sufficient.

We also have socket strips which plug into wall sockets and give four or
six outlets (normally unswitched) for lighter loads.  This is helpful
for temporary arrangements where more sockets are needed in a hurry -
but tends to become permanent, leading to a maze of wires behind the
furniture.  The strip is plugged into a normal wall socket with a fused
plug, so if it is overloaded, the fuse will blow and protect it.

Because the UK voltage is double the US voltage, the UK current is half
the US current for the same power, so our wiring tends to be lighter
gauge but we are much stricter on preventing electric shock.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk