Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<1quwbd8.u3ur3s1hdsf7kN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: British (european?) kitchen counter electric outlets
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2024 17:38:51 +0100

Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>... But we
> are talking of an era before rectangular plugs back when they were round
> pin. BS546 round pin was the more recent and before that Wylex which was
> -o- a regional abberration in the region where I grew up.

Wylex was a brilliant and economical system which combined all the best
features of a ring main, a spur system and stackable fused plugs to
avoid multiple power points or proliferated adaptors.  It is a pity it
wasn't adopted as a British Standard instead of the clumsy system we now
have.

The different-width pin system, which prevented overloading low-current
circuits, has continued to be used in the fuse carriers of Wylex
consumer units until very recently.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk