Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<1qv9nds.lk54f6gwgwb4N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: British (european?) kitchen counter electric outlets
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2024 22:44:35 +0100

news:v4nhe7$79i4$3@dont-email.me...
> > On 6/16/2024 11:46 AM, Edward Rawde wrote:

[...]

> >> Yes it's known as a cavity wall. Our house was like that, and there was
> >> no such thing as drywall (or plasterboard as it would be known in the
> >> UK). The inside wall is plastered with plaster by the plasterers
> >> (people who do the plastering).
> >
> > Directly onto the brick surface?
>
> Yes
>
> > Or, was lath/chickenwire installed to support
> > the plaster?
>
> I've never done plastering myself but I think it goes directly on the bricks.
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=uk+wall+plaster

It does go directly onto the bricks but not as one single layer.

Usually a bonding layer of coarse plaster is applied first.  Before it
is dry,  to assist the bonding to the next layer, the surface is
scratched all over with a series of light marks, like criss-crosses,
made with the point of a trowel.  After that first layer has set-off,
the second 'finishing' coat is applied.  That is a much finer-grained
plaster and can be smoothed to a mirror finish by a skilled plasterer.

To assist in keeping the surface level, wooden battens are sometimes
tacked to the brickwork first, to give a series of parallel surfaces.
Once the bulk of the coarse plaster has been put on it can be levelled
by scraping with a straight-edge laid across the battens.  Then the
battens are dug out and the channels which remain are filled with
plaster.  Thin galvanised steel angle sections can be used on
outward-facing corners; these are provided with expanded metal edges
which key into the plaster, so they are left in place.

All this work has to be done at high speed because the freshly-mixed
plaster thickens-up quite quickly and becomes difficult to work.  Its
workable life  can be extended to a limited extent by adding a little
more water and 'beating it up', but that is not good practice.
..

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk