Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240312134727.00005295@example.com>

From: Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: The Gentlemen
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 13:47:27 -0400

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 13:35:50 -0400
EGK <memyself@null.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 20:59:08 -0500, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
> >I just watched the first episode of The Gentlemen, which Netflix
> >dropped today, and thought I'd put in a good word for it. I'll be
> >brief and avoid any major spoilers.
> >
> >A British captain serving in UN peacekeeping forces on the border
> >between Turkey and Syria gets word that his father is about to die.
> >He rushes home and it turns out that he is the younger son of a very
> >wealthy Lord. His father dies within minutes of his return (of
> >natural causes). At the reading of the will, a very surprising
> >development launches the story. Essentially, an attempt to help his
> >elder brother with substantial debts faces one hurdle after the next
> >that involves Rather Bad People.
> >
> >The lead is Theo James who is not well known on this side of The
> >Pond, although he did put on an American accent to star in a
> >short-lived cop show, Golden Boy, a few years back. He's been in a
> >bunch of other things I haven't seen but you may be familiar with,
> >like several Divergent films, two Witcher films, Sanditon, The Time
> >Traveler's Wife and The White Lotus. Vinnie Jones is in the cast as
> >well; I remember people being excited about him being in Gallivant.
> >The others are British character actors or people I've never seen in
> >anything.
> >
> >It's full of surprises so far so I'm going to stick around to the
> >end unless it turns awful. There are 8 episodes altogether with
> >episodes ranging in length from slightly over an hour to 43 minutes.
> >I have no idea if there are plans to make additional seasons if it
> >is successful.
>
> Did you finish The Gentlemen?  I'm currently on episode 6 and like it
> quite a bit.  Always been a fan of Guy Ritchey's movies about the UK
> underworld. Snatch and Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels are his
> most famous in this genre I think but I really liked The Gentlemen
> movie too.  This TV show took the title but is only loosely based on
> it.

Yes, I finished the final episode a couple of days ago. I hadn't seen
the movie so can't compare the two. I have seen some of his other
films, including the two you mentioned and liked them. I also enjoyed
the TV version of Snatch and was disappointed when it ended after just
two seasons.

> After being a big fan of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, it's
> amusing seeing Giancarlo Esposito in a supporting role playing a
> former kingpin in the meth trade.

I should have mentioned his role in the original post since he's one of
the few people in it that would be familiar to most North Americans.

I won't say any more until you've watched the whole thing.

--
Rhino