Article <20240313150115.10@kylheku.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240313150115.10@kylheku.com>

From: Kaz Kylheku <433-929-6894@kylheku.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Word For Today: =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=9CUglification=E2=80=9D?=
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 22:10:04 -0000 (UTC)

On 2024-03-13, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 03:36:11 -0400, James Kuyper wrote:
>
>> Yes, I do, and so do implementors. Avoiding those clashes is their
>> responsibility.
>
> Implementors of the C standard? What about providers of other libraries?

One possible point of view is that the integrators who put together a
GNU/Linux distro effectively take on the role of C implementors.

If a clash takes place among any libraries in Debian or Alpine or GNU
Guix or what have you, you can regard that as a bug in the distro. The
distro can fix it however they see fit: apply a local patch to one or
more libraries, and get possibly get that upstreamed, or not.

(It makes sense to get that upstreamed, because other distros are all
building most of the same libraries; a clash between libraries can
affect any distro the same way as any other.)

In any case, the C standard doesn't distinguish any party other than
implementor and user. Libraries that are not in the implementation are
in the program being presented for translation and linkage, and
clashes in the program are the program's problem.

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca