Article <20240328122327.3895243496305c8cc8a9d063@g{oogle}mail.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240328122327.3895243496305c8cc8a9d063@g{oogle}mail.com>

From: Anton Shepelev <anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: A Famous Security Bug
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 12:23:27 +0300

Kaz Kylheku:

> If C compilers warned about every piece of dead code that
> is eliminated, you'd be up to your ears in diagnostics all
> day.

Is so much dead code a defect in the source or a benigh
consequence of a well-pondered decision?

> If you do want the code deleted, that doesn't always mean
> you can do it yoruself. What gets eliminated can be target
> dependent:
>
>   switch (sizeof (long)) {
>   case 4: ...
>   case 8: ..
>   }

The case above is IMHO best handled by conditional
compilation, even though more work may be required to
dispatch on a type size in the preprocessor.

> Because memset is part of the C language, the compiler
> knows exactly what effect it has (that it's equivalent to
> setting all the bytes to zero, like a sequence of
> assignments).

Yes, it is an instance of a special case relying upon hard-
coded information.  Why not, however, let the programmer
elimitate this dead code from his code, if it /is/ dead?