Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240328b@crcomp.net>

From: "Don" <g@crcomp.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Memristor cross bar arrays for faster AI neural nets and math?
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 18:17:43 -0000 (UTC)

Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> Don wrote:
>> Jan Panteltje wrote:

>>> If you can do matrix computations with it why not?
>>> quote from that llnk:
>>>   "When organized into a crossbar array,
>>>    such a memristive circuit does analog computing by using physical laws
>>>    in a massively parallel fashion, substantially accelerating matrix operation,
>>>    the most frequently used but very power-hungry computation in neural networks
>>>    "

>>> Well you could store analog info in CMOS too, even in capacitors.
>>> Inductors? not so sure, not so easy for a long time?
>>
>> Does core memory qualify as inductors?
>
> Memory cores have a very wide hysteresis. You need a fair bit of
> current to magnetize them, and when they do, they go straight into
> saturation and stay there when the current is removed. You have to
> reverse the current to magnetize them the other way and again will
> flip the whole way.
>
> That's why they were useful as memory. As inductors, not so much.

Well said! This take on the Two-Capacitor Paradox ironically illustrates
intrisic inductance:

Learning from the Two-Capacitor Paradox: Do Capacitance and Inductance Exist?
<https://www.comsol.com/blogs/learning-from-the-two-capacitor-paradox-do-capacitance-and-inductance-exist>

Danke,

--
Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;