Article <20240330110335.775@kylheku.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240330110335.775@kylheku.com>

From: Kaz Kylheku <643-408-1753@kylheku.com>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell,comp.unix.programmer,comp.lang.misc
Subject: Re: Command Languages Versus Programming Languages
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 18:10:36 -0000 (UTC)

On 2024-03-30, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 17:25:18 -0000 (UTC)
> Kaz Kylheku <643-408-1753@kylheku.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> So if I write a program to for example process some files in a directory by
>>> your argument its a script whether I write it in shell, python, C++ or
>>> assembler.
>>
>>I also wrote: "Scripting refers to executing commands which are so high
>>level that they are entire applications or functional blocks within an
>>application."
>
> So if I write:
>
> int main()
> {
> 	system("ls | wc -l");
> 	return 0;
> }
>
> Thats a script?

The "ls | wc -l" part is a script, passed off for execution to a
language that mainly supports scripting.

Note the non-scripting features here like "int main",
which doesn't /do/ anything, and typically the need to compile
and link this in order to run it.

system() itself also isn't quite "command which is so high level that
it's an inter application or functional block within an application";
it's a shim whose argument might be such a command.

> No? What if I use popen() or execve() then? Where do you
> draw the line?

If you use popen and execve, you're using more systems programming
functional blocks that are not scripting commands.

>>You're just being deliberately obtuse, not to mention snippy with the
>>scissors.
>
> I'm not being obtuse. There is no hard dividing line between scripts and

Right now you're doubling down on obtusity, by my estimate.

> programs - as I said, its shades of grey.

Would you say, fifty shades?

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca