Article <20240401132531.00003710@gmail.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240401132531.00003710@gmail.com>

From: John Ames <commodorejohn@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell,comp.unix.programmer,comp.lang.misc
Subject: Re: Command Languages Versus Programming Languages
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 13:25:31 -0700

On Mon, 01 Apr 2024 19:42:05 GMT
scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

> Why is it important that there be a distinction between "scripting"
> and "non-scripting" languages at all?

Oh, it's an interesting question from a general standpoint, and I think
you could make an argument that it'd be "useful" to someone trying to
determine what the right tool for a given job would be.* The problem
seems to be that *A.* we're arguing from several wildly different
definitions of "scripting language" - is it a matter of problem domain?
Implementation details? Both? Phase of the moon? - and nobody seems to
want to budge on their preferred line, and *B.* even with a given
definition, it's not exactly a firm line.

* (Funny story - when I was a young'un first dabbling with computer
programming, I got the impression that a lot of DOS games were written
in Batch, of all things, because that was how you invoked them, and
spent several confused days poring over the MS documentation trying to
figure out how they could've done it!)