Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240405184252.000000ce@example.com>

From: Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Chris Cuomo Tears Biden A New One Over Israel: "Hostages Have
 Become An Afterthought"
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 18:42:52 -0400

On Fri, 05 Apr 2024 14:41:05 -0400
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> NewsNation anchor Chris Cuomo tore into President Joe Biden on
> Thursday, accusing the White House of sending a =E2=80=9Cmixed message=E2=
=80=9D on
> Israel and warning him that no amount of political pressure =E2=80=94 even
> from within his own party =E2=80=94 was an =E2=80=9Cexcuse to be weak.=E2=
=80=9D
>=20
> Cuomo was responding to Biden=E2=80=99s Thursday call with Prime Minister
> Benjamin Netanyahu, during which he reportedly pressured the Israeli
> leader to move ahead with a ceasefire in Gaza despite the fact that
> the terrorist group Hamas =E2=80=94 which started the current war with an
> unprovoked attack on October 7th and is still holding Israeli and
> American hostages =E2=80=94 has thus far refused to make any concessions.
>=20
> During the call, the president also suggested that U.S. policy toward
> Israel moving forward would be reevaluated and determined based on
> Netanyahu=E2=80=99s response to Biden=E2=80=99s demands.
>=20
> Cuomo was apparently not impressed, and he used his Thursday
> monologue to address Biden directly.
>=20
> WATCH:
>=20
> 	President Biden, you're treating the war against Israel as if
> it were another political point of compromise. There is a primary=20
> 	reality: Hamas is a terror organization and they need to give
> the hostages back. pic.twitter.com/1V3MlGkqZc
>=20
> 	=E2=80=94 Christopher C. Cuomo (@ChrisCuomo) April 5, 2024
>=20
> =E2=80=9CI know that the war in the Middle East is a major concern for yo=
u in
> the election, and I think that explains why you misplayed it the way
> you did today. You gave a mixed message. You talked tough, what
> sounded like a threat to your main ally in the region,=E2=80=9D Cuomo sai=
d.
> =E2=80=9CAnd then you said you=E2=80=99re giving them more weapons.=E2=80=
=9D
>=20
> =E2=80=9CYou=E2=80=99re treating the war against Israel as if it were ano=
ther
> political point of compromise. =E2=80=98This is wrong. But this is wrong.=
 And
> we need to do better here. And there has to be change and blah, blah,
> blah. Ceasefire.=E2=80=99 A lot of words, a lot of conditional language, a
> lot of half-speak, a lot of appeasement in a situation that is not
> about balance. It is about realities,=E2=80=9D he continued.
>=20
> Cuomo went on to explain that he understood the likely political
> calculus that was going on behind the scenes, saying that he knew the
> presidential race was thus far shaping up to be a close one and that
> Biden stood to lose support from within his own party if he did not
> make some effort to appease the pro-Palestinian voters. But he argued
> that was =E2=80=9Cno excuse=E2=80=9D for allowing the politics to drive p=
olicy when
> there were still American hostages in the hands of Hamas terrorists.
>=20
> =E2=80=9CI get how worried you are that you=E2=80=99re not going to have =
the same
> base you had the last time. But that is not an excuse to be weak.
> There=E2=80=99s a primary reality, okay? We seem to have forgotten it,=E2=
=80=9D Cuomo
> added. =E2=80=9CHamas is a terror organization. You designated them as th=
at.
> They stole people. They need to give the people they stole back to
> us, to Israel, first. The hostages have become an afterthought and
> that is wrong. And the reason it has happened is even more wrong. The
> reason it has happened is because other political exigencies and
> agendas have overtaken their relevance.=E2=80=9D
>=20
I never thought I'd find myself agreeing with a "progressive" pundit
like Cuomo but it seems to have happened in this case. Biden needs to
let Israel finish the job of shutting down Hamas and getting back
whatever hostages still survive. (And if he's got any sense at all, he
will NOT push Israel to give up any more of the terrorists presently in
Israeli jails, otherwise he is ensuring that those top terrorists will
rebuild Hamas and Islamic Jihad and cause ANOTHER massacre - or more
likely several - in due course.)

--=20
Rhino