Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240413173438.00005005@example.com>

From: Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Bad reporting Hazards to Homeless article
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:34:38 -0400

On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 14:26:26 -0700
BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> In article <20240413162248.000059fe@example.com>,
>  Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 12:19:04 -0700
> > BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> > > The 'progressive' media and politicians never give these people
> > > any agency. All of the ills they both experience and commit--
> > > from drug addiction, to crime, to sexual assault-- it's all
> > > visited on them from some outside force beyond their control.
> > > They are *never* held accountable for their own choices or their
> > > own lives. They're treated as if they're helpless infants.
> > >
> > If the homeless were allowed agency, there would inevitably be
> > pressure to hold them accountable for their actions. That would
> > undermine the "progressive" Saviours who are going to fix
> > everything with vast new and expensive - and almost certainly
> > futile - programs to help the poor darlings. It's far better to
> > just declare them all to be helpless captives of their addictions
> > and mental health so that "help" can be applied in whatever fashion
> > the government and their agents in the civil service deem
> > necessary. Many many billions of tax dollars can then be wasted on
> > schemes that won't solve the problem but WILL enrich the agencies
> > that run the schemes.
> > >
> > > A misleading headline, a misleading article, in the legacy media?
> > > Surely you jest!

> > > You should have seen the tortured leaps of illogic and linguistic
> > > legerdemain that Newsom and Karen Bass went through to avoid
> > > admitting the fact that it was a vagrant encampment that they let
> > > flourish that was responsible for burning down the 10 freeway back
> > > before Christmas.
> > >
> > > Nevertheless, the vagrants *were* responsible for the fire. So now
> > > we have vagrants cutting one of the most traveled freeways in the
> > > nation in half. When it was down, there was talk of merchandise
> > > shortages all the way on the East Coast because of the blockage.
> > >

> > "When it was down...." Am I correct in inferring from your verb
> > tense that 10 has been repaired and is now flowing normally? How
> > did they accomplish that so quickly? Infrastructure projects
> > typically take ages to plan and execute.
>
> Newsom waived all the environmental regulations and bureaucracy
> relating to contractor bidding with emergency executive orders. They
> had it partially open within a week and completely fixed within a
> month.
>
> Amazing what can happen when government gets the hell out of the way,
> isn't it?

I remember reading that a previous Cali governor did that when a major
expressway was damaged by an earthquake (probably the Northridge one).
The road was back up and running in 9 days if I remember correctly.

What's the latest estimate on getting the Key Bridge back up? Seven
years? Ten years?

> > > The White
> > > House declared it a national emergency. This is what vagrants are
> > > now doing and what has been the response? Nothing. Vagrants are
> > > still being allowed to camp under freeways because literally
> > > noting they do is bad enough to inconvenience them in any way.
> > >
> > > Take down a freeway? Not bad enough.
> > >
> > > Burn down a forest, destroy a couple hundred homes and kill a few
> > > people? You go ahead and keep camping in the hills. It would be
> > > insensitive of us to bother you.
> >
> > Who is running for governor this time around? I assume Newsom will
> > have an opponent or two. Are any of them likely to be competitive?
> > I keep thinking there must be lots of people in California who are
> > beyond sick of Gov. Hairgel and would love to see a change.
>
> There is no governors race this year.

Oh yeah; I forgot about the staggered governor elections and thought he
was up for election again.

> Newsom is only halfway through
> his second term. After that he can't run again so he won't have any
> opponents.

At least you have the benefit of term limits in the governorship! Two
more years and he's done forever, at least as governor. Of course it's
pretty obvious he still has Presidential ambitions so you may not have
seen the end of him even after he leaves the governor's mansion....

--
Rhino