Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240510b@crcomp.net>

From: "Don" <g@crcomp.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: The end of stackoverflow?
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 17:27:43 -0000 (UTC)

Don Y wrote:
> Don wrote:
>> It's feasible for the fine print of social sites similar to
>> Stackoverflow to stipulate all rights to user content belong to the
>> website owner. The quid pro quo is the owner's out-of-pocket expenses to
>> host the site.
>>
>> Everything comes at a price. And this perfectly illustrates why people
>> absolutely must host their own websites in order to protect their
>> rights.
>
> Litigation is what will protect your rights; merely hosting a site
> (that can be archived and reused at a later date by any number of
> visitors) only controls what that site will PUBLISH at some instant
> in time.
>
> Can you prevent a 'bot from scraping your site and using that
> content to "educate a visitor"?  *Train* an AI??

Both 'bots and litigation are separate topics.

My comments pertain to rights retention. After you sign away your
rights, nothing's left to litigate.

If it helps, think of it this way: a website's owner is legally entitled
to rip you off when you sign away your rights.

Danke,

--
Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;